10 August 2006

Hooverphonic 'No more Sweet Music'


1. You Love Me To Death
2. We All Float
3. Music Box
4. You Hurt Me (But I've Got So Much More To Give)
5. No More Sweet Music
6. Tomorrow
7. Dirty Lenses
8. Heartbeat
9. Wake Up
10. My Child
11. Ginger

After the last two or three albums, my expectations of any new Hooverphonic releases are not high. This one is just a typical release, in the same vein as the last two or three. The album, strangely named as 'No more sweet music', is characterised by rich orchestral arrangements, sweet strong obvious melodies with a lack of subtety. I feel the album lacks staying power.

'No more sweet music' is not bad being much in the same vein as the last two rather ordinary Goldfrapp albums, but it is not spectacular like the first two Hooverphonic albums. For those who are unfamiliar with Hooverphonic, the first two albums are the masterpieces and they should not be missed.

The one interesting aspect to this release 'No more sweet music' is the inclusion of a second CD 'More sweet music' which is a variation of the the main album.

2 comments:

steve said...

I've never heard them, at least I don't think I did. You may like a group called Locust (not the punk band "the Locust"), which is basically Mark Van Hoen, ex Seefeel producer's project. His solo stuff is great too, though not so easy to track down. "Morning Light" is a great cd though--not too hard to find (under the Locust name).

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Steve, there are no obvious singles in a sense. Hooverphonic's CDs work best as an album. Especially the first two. A Stereophonic Sound Spectacular' and 'Blue Power Wonder Milk'. Those are the two masterpieces. The third one is alight. Afterwards, it's ordinary, like the second and third Goldfrapp albums.

I will go try Locust out. Thanks for the heads-up. Amazon it is.

Seefeel. That reminds me, one of the Seefeel members was DJing at the Cocteau Twins concert I attended in Manchester in 1996. A decade ago! Lionrock was the opening act.

That reminds me. I will go dig out my Seefeel CD somewhere. Thanks!