13 September 2005

Drawings of Tanks and other AFVs

Here are the links to the current drawings of tanks and other AFVs*.

Centurion, Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV, OT-34, M4A1 Sherman, Elefant, Pzkw V Panther, Jagdpanther, Pzkw VI Tiger I, Pzkw IVH, Comet, M1A1 Abrams, PzKw VI Tiger II, KV-1, KV-2Sturmgeschütz III

For the drawings of AFVs, I use photographic references, other drawings and schematics. The references I use are books from Schiffer Books, Concord Publications, Signal Squadron and several other books.

These drawings are usually done with pigment ink markers from Eddings, Artline, and a few others. The sizes I use most frequently is 0.3, 0.1 and 0.05. For large shadows, I simply use a big black Copic marker. For the ones in colour, Copic markers are used.

These drawings are normally completed from start to end in two to three hours.

*AFV - Armoured Fighting Vehicles

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows." Heinz Guderian

6 comments:

-Jeanie. said...

u like drawing and art alot?

can see u are an artistic person!!!

AG said...

Go copic markers!!

:P personally i prefer Pilot G-tec 0.4 very versatile little pen - better than most technical pens. :P

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Jeanie, drawing has been a passion for me for over thirty years. I can still remember sketching on the empty spaces and pages of my mommy's annual shareholder reports when I was four!

Sassy Nurse, thanks. Everyone is artistic or creative in their own way. I am sure if you really wanted to, you could draw too.

AG, Pilot G-Tec 0.4? It has a constant flow with a very hard nib, right? I can understand somewhat, seeing your style. Yes, they are much better than many technical pens. I used to use a refillable one with a titanium tip in the late eighties but I overused it till it leaked badly. I like the hard tip with the soft head of those technical pens with pigment ink. Why? Well, when it comes to mid-stage and when the ink flow is uneven, you can do wonderful shades and effects... Yes, control is important here.

takchek said...

You can probably try submitting your entries to the model kit manufacturers like Tamiya.

How about the SAF's AMX-13? Going to be on your list?

:)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Takchek, by coincidence, I was studying an black and white image of a Swiss AMX-13 Model 51 last night. I was wondering as to the viability of sketching one. I didn't think of doing one from the SAF mainly because I lack photo references of SAF machines. If I have them, well, then, I can consider.

I would be interested in SAF Centurions though.

You flatter me. Tamiya artists use oils and they take approximately three months to create a piece. They would have vast amounts of photographic references, line drawings, plans and so forth. It is akin to a technical drawing. And oils take days to dry too. I don't have the ability, well, at least not yet. Heheheh.

Similarly, the artists illustrating for Hasegawa, Dragon and others, probably use acrylics or goraches. Those are easier but a lot less life-like. Even then, it is not a trivial task. One may have to do that as a career. A single picture of my tank drawing takes about two to three hours at most. A vast difference.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Takchek, incidentally, I don't build models. Do you?

On another note, I am VERY interested in sketching SAF AMX-10Ps. Sadly, I don't have any photo references of those AFVs.