06 October 2010

A hideous, white swine-face

"Slowly, the dust subsided, until, presently, I was able to approach the edge, and look down.

For a while, I peered impotently, trying to see through the reek. Atfirst, it was impossible to make out anything. Then, as I stared, I saw something below, to my left, that moved. I looked intently toward it,and, presently, made out another, and then another--three dim shapes that appeared to be climbing up the side of the Pit. I could see themonly indistinctly. Even as I stared and wondered, I heard a rattle of stones, somewhere to my right. I glanced across; but could see nothing.I leant forward, and peered over, and down into the Pit, just beneath where I stood; and saw no further than a hideous, white swine-face, thathad risen to within a couple of yards of my feet. Below it, I could make out several others. As the Thing saw me, it gave a sudden, uncouthsqueal, which was answered from all parts of the Pit. At that, a gust of horror and fear took me, and, bending down, I discharged my gun right into its face. Straightway, the creature disappeared, with a clatter of loose earth and stones."


From 'The House on the Borderland' by William Hope Hodgson.

No comments: