06 July 2012

Singapore International Piano Festival


I attended the Singapore International Piano Festival at the School of the Arts over the weekend. It was an enjoyable programme. I appreciated the programming and the pieces played. The venue was the School of the Arts, off Bras Barsa Road and Selegie Road. The current location was great. Last year, it was held at a hall in NUS and it was inaccessible and inconvenient and my little sister and I had given last year's recital a miss despite wanting to hear the pieces in the programme.

The concert hall of the School of the Arts where the recital was held was splendid, great acoustics. The hall was somewhat hot. Each of the three locations which I had sat at was hot too. I could hear a lady beside me muttering to her companion about the heat and we were seated at row A.


I attended the recitals given by Khatia Buniatishvili, Chiyan Wong, Stephen Hough.

Khatia Buniatishvili
LISZT Sonata in B minor
LISZT Mephisto Waltz No. 1
CHOPIN Three Scherzi (1, 2, 3)
STRAVINSKY Three Movements from Petroushka

Chiyan Wong
SCHUMANN Kreisleriana, op. 16
BÜLOW-LISZT Dantes Sonnet 'Tanto gentile e tanto onesta' S. 479
LISZT Années de pèlerinage -
Après une Lecture de Dante: Fantasia quasi Sonata , S. 161/7
Au Lac du Wallenstadt, S. 160/2
BELLINI-LISZT-WONG Paraphrase der Hexaméron Variationen des "Marsch der Puritaner"

Stephen Hough
BEETHOVEN Sonata in C-sharp minor, Op. 27 No. 2 ‘Moonlight'
HOUGH Sonata for Piano (Broken Branches)
SCRIABIN Sonata No. 5
LISZT Sonata in B minor

I enjoyed the recitals and I was immensely delighted by the choice of the pieces in the programme this year.

No comments: