25 March 2020

Fatalism

Fatalism is a malady often attributed to enigmatic orientals with their inscrutable ways. That fatalism is exactly what I am seeing from a lot of right-wing Americans claiming that this is just the seasonal cull of the sick and the weak. Fatalism. What kind of a talk is this? The Americans I know of when I was growing up were the "can do" type of people. Those Americans weren't like the world-weary, cynical Europeans, or the so-called clichéd fatalistic orientals resigned to their fates.

The right-wing Americans that I observe would also denigrate the left-wing for being spineless. Right now, what I see are the right-wing types who have chosen inaction thinking that their fatalism equates to stoicism and are in denial over Covid-19, claiming that people are ignorant of mathematics and that Covid-19 is not so bad.

I wasn't going to type something political initially, this is more of an observation. (No, I am not left-wing.)

No comments: