30 August 2007

Duels

Duels is an extremely addicting browser-based game of gladiatorial combat that was recently featured in the Wall Street Journal, Digg and Slashdot.

Since Colin introduced the game in an email, I have been playing keenly. At least, since last Friday.


My character Oggg.

Warrior. Path of the Warrior.
Level: 27
Record: 779 - 74



The guys are also playing Duels. Their characters:

Mortyl (Wilson)
Thuggg (Kuoby)
Ripper (Colin)
Pathfinder75 (Willie)
Thugg (Kuoby)
Ksyn (Anthony - And he fights with swords in real life!)

I have a record of 779 wins to 74 losses mainly because I pick on opponents a few levels below mine. I have also got a good record against opponent of even levels and one level higher. With my build and gear, I can generally beat NPCs six levels above me.



The game is very gear-dependent, much like Diablo and the World of Warcraft. Thus, the guy with the better weapon and armour generally wins. The equipment system in this game is fairly elaborate. Likewise, the skill system.

Highly recommended! Join me!

7 comments:

Ken Lee said...

I've been having difficulty in selecting my skills. Do you have any idea? The game guide doesn't help much either.

I took the Path of the Sword, and have been wanting to put skill points into Dual-wield, and Quickness. But it says '5 points required'. So I saved up 5 skill points, and I still can't raise a rank for that skill. Urgh!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I am not sure if I am understanding you or answering your question. Anyway, here goes:


You need to put 5 points into skills at that level before you can go to a higher tier.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

In other words, you need to put a TOTAL of 5 skill points into ANY of the tier one skills before you can put into tier 2 (Quickness, Armour, Dual Wield, Shield) skills.

Anthony said...

Pardons. Haven't been focusing on Duels much because I've focusing on RL Path of the Sword instead. Will get back into the game soon.

Ken Lee said...

Hey Shyue Chou... Thanks! That helps.

I was kinda confused by the whole skill thing. Cos the requirement said "5 Points Required". It didn't state that I had to spend at least 5 points in other skills first.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Anthony, what about posting an image of the swords you own online? I would love to see that!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Ken, the wiki entries were certainly not informative.

Just something to note.

Bear in mind that you can use ONLY ONE high path skill when you enter combat. So, choosing two high path skills later would be useless. Likewise, choosing two high path skills from two different tiers.