11 August 2007

Freeman Dyson's Heretical Thoughts

Freeman Dyson has three heretical thoughts on global warming and climatic change. The first:

"My first heresy says that all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated. Here I am opposing the holy brotherhood of climate model experts and the crowd of deluded citizens who believe the numbers predicted by the computer models. Of course, they say, I have no degree in meteorology and I am therefore not qualified to speak. But I have studied the climate models and I know what they can do. "

Essentially his first point is:

"As a scientist I do not have much faith in predictions. Science is organized unpredictability."

His article is well-worth reading. It is meant to be thought-provoking. His suggestions of possible solutions are intriguing as are his perspectives.

No comments: