21 July 2010

Inception

I watched 'Inception' at Lido with James (tentacled Rango) and Siu Hean (Deep One) last night. This big budget action vehicle is the latest brainchild of Christopher Nolan, a creator and crafter of elegant films such as 'Memento', 'The Prestige' and 'Insomnia'. Featuring lots of gunplay, this action film, and I like action films, has a very layered plot involving dreams.Like what Siu Hean was describing, 'Inception was 'linear' and plotted like 'Chinese boxes. This, of course, culminated in a time-pressed and predictable explosive finale, all rather enjoyable.

The last bit of 'Inception', that of a spinning top yet wobbling top, would be a standard operating practice of any good Hollywood movie these days, leaving openings for sequels in the near future.


Three simple possibilities.

  1. He didn't make it out.
  2. It was a dreamword to begin with, there was another layer.
  3. The top will topple. This is the real world. 

In case 1 and 2, there is room for a sequel.

In any case, 'Inception' does resonate with me in that my dreams, being often photorealistic, are of dreamscapes of places and sometimes, I will wake up within another dream... A few nights ago, I had a dream of a sniper rifle being stolen from me in a European coffee house and I had to browbeat in order to get it back. It was strange. There was another that had me waiting in a commercial complex of some sort.

If you do enjoy 'Inception', I should think that the same themes are explored in 'The Thirteenth Floor' and the enigmatic 'eXistenZ' years before. There is, of course, the ubiquitous everyman movie, 'The Matrix', with its gunplay and violence.

3 comments:

Lazarus Lupin said...

Did you ever see Dark city?

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Hello, yes, I have seen it. I have the DVD. The sets used were later reused for 'The Matrix'.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I thought 'Dark City' was underwhelming.