18 February 2006


Dune MUD

Dune MUD is a text-based multi-user dungeon (MUD) based on Frank Herbert's novel of the same name. The highly-overrated novel eventually went to spawned a series of rather lacklustre sequels which did not end at the time of Herbert's death. Two decades later, Herbert's son and a collaborator (talentless hack) went to write a series of forgettable cashcows. As it is Dune MUD is a disparate assembly of pieces from all the novels and it does not adhere to the canon. Dune MUD grew greatly due to the efforts of numerous wizards (especially Arfang and Slash in the early days) and is now a huge sprawling affair.

Colin (Game names: Blue, September, Patience) discovered Dune in 1994 and started playing. Colin was also an early customer of Servint's newgroup services apparently and he had communicated with Reed Caldwell (Game name: Genesis) or someone at SerVint Corporation then. Wilson (Game name: Blackice) and Alex (Game name: Silver) joined him in the game then. I joined shortly after.

I played intensively in 1995-1996 and hit level 49, the maximum possible level, then I died twice foolishly. The death penalty for dying in this text-based multi-user dungeon (MUD) was harsh then. You lose 50% of your exp. That essentially reduced me to around level 22. Colin told me that the maximum possible level before that was level 20!

In the those early days, I used to team up with Kain/Storm, Knight/Sith (Dekkeret, he's now based on Oman, as of February 2006) and Bornhelm. And I recall 'beeping' Nightbreeze on the nose every time I see him come online. It had become a ritual.

Meanwhile, Llama would be the regular Caladan Astroport fixture. He would be there 24/7. I recall Boss, Perseus, Tapper, Jobob/Stryder (he was the great Fremen) and Skyspy's early days. We were all competing for the same monsters.

In the middle of 1996, I visited Dublin. At the airport, Hawkeye turned up in his mountain bike. We then went into the city. I managed to meet Snail outside Trinity College and Llama at his lab. Llama and I went to a local sandwich place later.

In late 1996, I joined the working world. Stryder/Jobob revamped the Fremen guild. Suddenly, there was guild skills for Fremen. I had felt that I wasn't sufficiently compensated and that had rather discouraged me. And besides, I had just joined the workforce and I was playing many other games, so, I logged onto Dune on and off for the next decade, playing little. I recall visiting and seeing the likes of Snowman and Ravni in 2001. I returned in 2004. I played seriously for a few months before halting in favour of playing World of Warcraft in December 2004 and Guild Wars after. I made another return in 2006.

Dune holds many memories for me. It has indeed been a long time.

To play Dune MUD, type telnet://dune.servint.com port 6789 in the command prompt.

The website is at: http://dune.servint.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And now, I know a little bit more Dune history than I did before reading this article. I'm actually very happy to see you playing, Marl; it means I had some impact on you after all.

-- Ravni of Dune

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

There were a few others whose names I cannot remember at present.

I guess it will come to me eventually. It's been way too long.

Anonymous said...

Always nice to be mensioned :)

Hope everything's good.

Take care.

//Chris (Perseus/Garion)

Anonymous said...

My shade and water are your friend Marlboro. You'll always have a place in fremen guild.

- Shaaitan

Anonymous said...

I was on Dune before Colin, I believe. AK.

Anonymous said...

I think I joined this mud around 1996, so the nosebeeping etc is something I can remember too.
It just occured to me: that's 10 years of being on DuneMud. Ten years of meeting a bunch of interesting people from all over the world, and ignoring the others who logged on ;-)
I also remember Marlboro idling in the tauroom all the time. Well, idling is a big word; he was actively increasing the tau :-)

I wonder if in ten years I'll still be around ..

Wim
aka
Temujin (yeah you know me)
aka
Genghis (you might know me)
aka
Kaplah (now he remembers this one?)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Hilarious!

Yes, Temujin is another name for Genghis isn't it? Clever clever!

There has been so many names. Even as I try, I find it hard to remember them. Your names did ring some bells but I am not sure to be honest. If you have been here for ten, I think you will be here for the next ten!

Anonymous said...

I remember when you came to Dublin...was great to see you...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Wow! That was a decade ago!

Who is this? Hawkeye? I recall you and your bike.

Or Snail? I recall you waiting at the gates of Trinity College.

Or Llama? I remember that we went to a sandwich place after I met you at a computer lab!

Anonymous said...

I am a new player. I only joined april 09. If Dune is still alive in ten years, you can be sure I will be there. Thankyou for pointing me to this new addiction, and thanks to the DuneMUD community for being friendly.