20 June 2007

The Curse of the Age of IP Telephony

I just got his call from some ang mo guy from Hong Kong trying to get me to set up a trading account.

Straight off, I told him that I was not interested in buying anything or any investment information. I told him that I was not interested in hearing about his company. He was distinctively annoyed and he tried to control the conversation, trying to tell me that he wanted to talk to me and that he was not selling and more. It was pretty overt. Outright. I hadn't experienced such a 'control freak' in.... wait, I had recently at PS Cafe! Haha. I told him that I didn't want to waste his time or mine but he kept trying to control the conversation.

I simplytold him that I was not interested continuously and he was getting quite heated. Finally, I said 'goodbye' and hung up. He was apparently annoyed enough to try calling again! This time, I didn't bother. I said 'hello' but he was silent. I left the phone hanging.

I got a lot of these calls from investment companies, trading account companies and more. Often, the tele-promoters were usually Filipino, Indian or Caucasian. The former two would have a robotic monotone manner of speech for some reason. Kinda like the late 70s Cylons in Battlestar Galactica.

Wilson said this was the curse of the Age of IP Telephony. Nonexistent telephone charges.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They want your money. I have done many cold callings myself in the past but generally not to ordinary households but to companies. It's a probability game to be honest. The irony is that I hate cold callers myself especially if they call my private home number. Usually, I asked them how they got my number. The rule of cold calling is that if the person on the other side was not interested it is better to politely to say "thank you" and move on rather than annoying the hell out of other. After all there the purpose of cold calling (corporate) is to set up an appointment that's all. Never reveal personal details to anyone over the phone and definitely NOT investment as they are many "cowboys" out there.

d;-)

Anonymous said...

" ...The rule of cold calling is ... was not interested it is better to..."

D'oh! should be "is" and not "was" ... arrgghhh ...

d;-)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Corporate targets?

You mean they target a company and want to find the decision-maker for the investment?

I have spoken to a few of those and they are very persistent.

What kind of investments would these normally be proffering?

Anonymous said...

That depends when I was working as a cold caller our products were legit industrial type but boring as hell but if they are talking about investment most probably Multi-level cash investment. Might not be legit put it this way. You will be required to say invest some cash with a promise of interest repayment higher than the banking rate etc. With your money they might "invest" in other quick earning/rich schemes to generate the income. Those at the highest of the pyramid earn most while the remaining will be shared amongst the down lines.

You take the gamble with the promise they make you. If they run with the money then there is no way you can get your money back.

d;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh ya ... there are many such quick rich investment schemes at your neighbouring country. Usually conducted via internet.

d;-)