01 May 2008

Listening

I am listening to the new Portishead album 'Third'. Their first album in a decade. Deliberately harsh, jarring and disjointed. The Gibbons voice is a counterpoint in a sense. The first single 'Machine Gun' is quite something.



I tried Madonna's 'Hard Candy' at the listening booth at HMV. I don't think I will be getting it. '4 Minutes', the leading single, was not compelling. I think Timberlake and Timbaland were better with Duran Duran's new album 'Red Carpet Massacre'.



I also gave Mike Oldfield's new one, 'Music of the Spheres', a listen, I think I will stick to Holst's 'The Planets'. This had featured Lang Lang on the piano. I tried Sarah Brightman's new one 'Symphony', I am undecided.



I saw the new Autechre album at Borders. I wasn't interested in the new Moby album. 'Play' was so bad, pretentious and overhyped that I had no desire to listen to Moby since. There was the new Armin van Buuren album 'Imagine'. Heh. Maybe.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Portishead?! I am such a big fan of them. Must check them out.

I gave up on Madonna long time ago. But still, I am going to try it out myself :)

Erm ... Mike Oldfield ... I think he has that one song or one album wonder. So far his subsequent works don't quite turn me on. Don't know why.

And .... Sarach Brightman. I am such a big fan and I have attempted to convince myself to buy this album for so many times. But I have decided to give it a pass. It doesn't have the umph for me.

I have Armin's last album. I think I'd rather stick with Tiesto ... ha ha ha.

PS. "Play" is not that bad leh ... maybe I am a bit shallow ... ha ha ha.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Have you heard it yet?

I am not surprised if you have given up on Madonna. She has a lot of hits and misses. For me, (that's me only):

Ray of Light - Great. It's the William Orbit touch. Not Madonna. She could be absent and it would still have worked. Look up Caroline Lavelle's first album.

Music - No. So forgettable.

American Life - Urm, heard one single or two. It doesn't bode well.

Confessions on a Dancefloor - 4-5 good tracks. Sorry was excellent.


Yes, Mike Oldfield. Well, I like the albums Innocent, Islands. He was, of course, known for Tubular Bells. I don't know. Like yourself, it doesn't work for me. There's great classical music that I can listen to instead of his 'organic compositions'.


Tiesto! Yeah! Awesome stuff. I think I have an Armin somewhere too but I haven't heard it.

I like Brightman's early albums that were mostly written by Petersen of the Gregorian chants fame. He's still producing her stuff. Dive and Fly were great albums. The others? I have to listen to them first but well...

Play? I guess I have a hatred of electro blues. Shallow? You? NOOOO!