24 December 2006

Harry Who?

A lot of my friends have bought into the Harry Potter phenomena. Gene, Desmond, Ben, June, Grey (yes, even him?!? What happened?), Siu Hean have bought into it and have read most of the books and watched the movies. Some of them aren't normally readers while others are practical and pragmatic people. It's amazing.

Meanwhile, other friends thought differently. Anne told me in an earlier conversation on MSN Messenger that she didn't care for Harry Potter and that J.K. Rowling's primary motivation for writing was for money. She contrasted it to Tolkien and also stated that the 'Lord of the Rings' was a metaphor for the Great War.

She, like AK, can't care less about the release of J.K. Rowling's seventh book, 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'.

Neither can I. I have no interest. This kind of fiction is not in my area of interest.

I do, however, wonder if Rowling will even be remembered, say, in a decade's time.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rowling who?

allen etter said...

Good to hear such sensible talk. I tried reading one of the books and found her writing style to be SO amazingly juvinile I wanted to rip my eyes out and chop off my fingers for even touching the hidious thing...oh wait, that's how I reacted to the Forest Gump sequal and the Watership Down sequal...well, then again, I pretty much DID react that way to Harry Potter. Then my kids wanted to see the movies. UHG! What a waste of film! Anyway...just dropped in from Andrew's blog...

0ne said...

I've not read a single book of Harry Potter because it's too popular like Pokemon.

Give me Timothy Hunter anytime.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Allen, you would not recommend Rowling, then? Not even a bit? I think I will stay away from Harry Potter on account of what has been said previously.

There is a Watership Down sequel? I'm speechless!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Zero, I guess popularity does not always equate with quality. In fact, not often at all...

Timothy Hunter?

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Grievous, Hahahahahaha!