06 October 2007

Blaqk Audio


Last night, at HMV, I was surprised when Kelvin pointed me to a CD, 'CexCells', by Blaqk Audio and told me that some of the tracks were somewhat reminiscent of early Depeche Mode. It took me less than thirty seconds of trying out to be convinced.

1. "Stiff Kittens" – 3:47
2. "Between Breaths (An XX Perspective)" – 4:28
3. "Snuff on Digital" – 5:03
4. "Bitter for Sweet" – 6:10
5. "Where Would You Like Them Left?" – 4:16
6. "The Fear of Being Found" – 4:44
7. "On a Friday" – 4:14
8. "The Love Letter" – 4:23
9. "Semiotic Love" – 3:32
10. "Cities of Night" – 3:47
11. "Again, Again, and Again" – 3:26
12. "Wake Up, Open the Door, and Escape to the Sea" – 3:05

The album had legendary Depeche Mode producer, Dave Bascombe, mixing and producing it.

Addendum

I had heard through the album twice. Standout tracks included 'Stiff Kittens', 'On a Friday', and 'Snuff on Digital'. In my opinion, the vocals were a lot more exuberant than Dave Gahan's controlled and measured vocals in early Depeche Mode (and I preferred the early Gahan vocals). From what I had heard, Blaqk Audio had elements of the Faint, Condition One, Fischerspooner and Duran Duran rather than Depeche Mode. Maybe, the beginning of 'Stiff Kittens' was a little reminiscent, otherwise...

No comments: