22 March 2006

Taxis in Shanghai

The streets in Shanghai are filled with taxis. I didn't have to wait for long when I needed one. A quick wave and a taxi stops. It will appear that all the taxis companies within Shanghai are utilising different models of the Volkswagen Santana with mainly 1.8 litre engines. The Santana, Santana 2000 and Santana 3000. It will also appear that the Santana taxis are running on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) which is clean and efficient.

I have spotted a Mercedes taxi once when I was there.



Incidentally, one can pay for the fares via contactless electronic swipe cards! (ie cash cards) My trips in Shanghai would cost on average 14 reminbi. The trip to the Shanghai Pudong International Airport should cost no more than 140 reminbi. Of course, one can take the maglev instead!

No comments: