30 March 2006


Witch Finder

I finished C.L. Werner's 'Witch Hunter' tonight. It's a decent read. I am reading the sequel 'Witch Finder' now.

Last night, I finished Nicholas Ostler's 'Empire of the Word: A Language History of the World'. I will speak a little on that later. The propagation and transmission of languages. The evolution and death of languages...

And then, it's back to finishing Jared Diamond's volume on mankind's propensity to destroy the environment that sustains his society in 'Collapse'.

2 comments:

steve said...

The "Collapse" part grabbed my attention--just the irony of the statement. I need to read this though. Funny how so far outta whack man is with the natural world and how we still tend to view ourselves as seperate entities from nature and the environment, thus making us the weakest and most vulnerable lifeforms on the planet (so contrary to what so many of us would like to believe).

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Steve, Jared Diamond's books are always worth reading. His multidisciplinary approach is fascinating.

'Guns, Germs and Steel' is another good book. 'The Third Chimpanzee' too.