17 July 2008

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight


I just stepped out of the cinema two hours ago. I had gone to watch this new Nolan film with Siu Hean. 'The Dark Knight' is an impressive and heavy film of an anti-hero and the plotting easily tops 'Batman begins'. Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan have written and crafted the most absorbing and engaging of any Batman film yet. Faithful, yet retaining a dark vision that were lacking in the Burton and Schumacher movies, the Nolan's creation of a murderous Joker with his wilful slayings defines Batman and his opposite. The protagonist and the antagonist. The thesis and anti-thesis. Dualism. The viciousness, the orchestrated chaos (sounds contradictory eh?) and plotting were magnificient. Heath Ledger's performance was masterly and there were already calls for him to be nominated and given an Oscar. Bale, Oldman, Caine, Freeman were convincing. Perfect casting. 'You complete me'. What can I say?

How can Nolan maintain continuity and yet top this one? I cannot say. 8/10

Addendum

Siu Hean thought that Nolan should win the Oscar for the screenplay. Ledger's performance was definitely made possible by the intense and dark script provided. He has a point.

8 comments:

Tim said...

I am jealous that you get to see it before us Americans...

BTW I am at 60 miles of running for the month. Lace up those running shoes, you gold brick!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Tim, there was a limited screening on Tuesday night too. I didn't get invited to that one.

60 miles of running! That's insane!

How's the temperature like at your end?

I should continue my 5-kilometre runs. These days, I am lazy. I barely run more than 3 km.

Tim said...

It's been hot and humid, high 80's to low 90's (30-33 C), so it has been tough (sweat is not the word!)but I am trying to get 100 miles by the end of the month.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

100 miles! That's 160 kilometres. That's over fourteen kilometres daily! You scare me!

Have you ever done a marathon yet?

And what is the furthest distance you have ever ran?

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

They screen it earlier in Asia too because they want to beat the pirates.

Well, there aren't much pirates anymore in Singapore anyway. Most people rely on downloads these days apparently.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

That makes it entirely moot I guess.

Ole' Wolvie said...

Heh, did you not get the memo?

Those "downloaders" are already being classified under "pirates".

I'm just wondering when the "streamers" will be made to walk the plank too. (Maybe they already are.)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Downloaders are well, universal. Whereas, people who set up stalls and sell product here have almost disappeared except for those deliveries from good ol' JB?

No, I haven't received those letters as I haven't downloaded. Heheh.