15 July 2008

Head of Ren Ci Hospital arrested

Yet another big charity is in big trouble. This time, the head of Ren Ci Hospital has been arrested. Apparently, from what I have read in the papers, the charge against the holder of a Ph.D. from Mannin University is criminal breach of trust.

After the NKF and Youth Challenge scandal, I wonder how many more of these charities will the government unearth? I can't say that I am surprised by this turn of events.

On that note, I will like to know how much of each charity's donations actually go to the needy.

I remember that someone had wanted to donate toys to a children's charity, I will not say which one, but when he called, he was told that that charity had only wanted cash. What do you think?

2 comments:

Ken Lee said...

To be fair, the reason that some charities would rather accept cash is that material donations often require logistical arrangements that would be much less cost-effective.

Also, it is a common conceit that people can donate items that they don't want anymore. It's not fair that charities, and their beneficiaries, have to accept cast-offs or hand-me-downs.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Yes, that is true about unwanted things that are often stained, torn, dirty, broken.