31 July 2006

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Hurrah Hurrah! I finished The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion last night. I didn't read the answers online or have to tweak the statistics to finish this game. Wilson recommended this a few months back and I am glad I took him up on his advice. Thank you Wilson!

The game is deeply satisfying, plotwise and gameplay wise. The amount of time spent is reasonable. And the game is not terribly difficult, being extremely player friendly for people who have to work. One need not be a seventeen year old with no life to complete this. I finished the game at level 21. One can finish it earlier or later. Level 21 is a good level to finish it.

The game allows one to complete little quests as well as do the main quest at one's own pace. Like what Wilson was saying, it can be completed in 20 hours or less if one decides not to do the side quests. One need not have great time-commitments to play this.

Highly recommended.

Lastly, I would like to recommend this game to Dennis, Grey, Desmond, Ben, AK, CK, Wei Yi, Winnie, Willie, Colin and Brian. Don't miss it.

I will be playing Titan Quest next. I will pick this up at Sim Lim Square on Friday night.

Addendum:

For efficient levelling, visit: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh huh. Sure I'll play it. When I have time away from my real life.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I'm sure you can find time.

Merv Kwok said...

woot! congrats man!

i have to confess. i cheated to complete the game. just grew to dreary after a while.

i'm sticking to rifles from now on.

Johnnynorms said...

Is it anything like Baldur's Gate? That game was something really special (didn't finish it, if it is indeed finishable - but one day...). Would I like The Elder Scrolls?

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Johnnynorms, the Elder Scrolls is plot-driven. Like Baldur's Gate, it is free form. You can rush off and do side quests, leaving the main one on hold.

It incorporate a lot of the same elements in gameplay. HOWEVER...

It is not turn-based but you can freeze the game to cast spells anytime you want.

It is played from a first person perspective though you can pull the camera back and play from a third person perspective like Baldur's Gate. But you only have a companion in some parts of the game. You don't get a real party.

It is not as tedious as Baldur's Gate when it comes to gaining levels. You don't have to kill lots of wolves, rats and what not, taking forever. Combat is fast and SHORT.

I like it a lot but I can't speak for you. Oh, I didn't finish Baldur's Gate either but I will one day.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

You cheated!?! Merv?!? How could you? The Gaming Gods will smite you!

Johnnynorms said...

It's those side quests that keep me from finishing I suppose. (sounds a bit like life). I put the game aside for a month or so, and then just can't remember where I got to with all those side quests. So..I start all over again!

ps. thanks for the Elbowroom linkage