21 January 2007

Mobilisation Exercise

AK's slave, Benita, laughed at me over email:

"Did you get recalled yet? I saw the thing flashing on TV Mobile not long ago. Get yer guns! Get ready for WAR!"

Groan! I was recalled. This must be my twelfth year or something. When I arrived in camp with my backpack and stuff (I brought everything, and they were waterproofed in ziplocked bags), I looked amidst the masses of green uniforms for a familiar face. This brand new unit, which I had just discovered that I was assigned to this week, was in its third year and had just turned operational (ready for war!). Unbelievably, I did spot a familiar face. I spotted Shyam! Unimaginable. The last time I saw him was some time between 1990 and 1992 when we were instructors in SBMT. He was a cool dude. He welcomed me and he told me when he first joined this unit, it was his first recall, his first time in fourteen years!

Fortunately, I had brought my sketch books and a book. I settled down to read. A few guys I know from my previous disbanded unit turned up eventually. They were plainly unhappy. According to them, it would have appeared that we had completed our obligations but somehow, there was a bureaucratic snafu.

Four hours later, I was free as a bird! Finally! Freedom from the oppression of the green!

6 comments:

Benita said...

Wow, I get featured too! (Take that, Master.) Honestly, the operationally-ready thing was really something I made up. Sorry it became a prophecy :D

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Heheh.

I know of this unit previously when I was attached to them for a make-up training though I didn't come into contact with their personnel. Heheh.

All reservist units do become operationally ready eventually anyhow.

Benita said...

Hear ye! Hear Ye!

Malaysian Political blogger gets sued by New Straits Times!

I see you've found my blog. AK links me, bytheway. I'm just below your link.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Yes, thanks. It was in the papers too. I wonder how the Malaysian courts will rule on this one. What do you think?

Benita said...

To be honest, I only just happened to come across it.

From what I've learnt about press freedom in M'sia so far, briefly, the press are allowed to make their comments on politics as long as they are balanced comments. And that was during the Dr M regime, so things may be different now. Seems like there's some press mergers going on too, eh?

I don't have extensive knowledge on this issue, but I believe it'll definitely change the blogging scene in M'sia if the court rules in their favour.

School work's bugging me though, so I can't really read up on it yet. Perhaps you could state your point of view and spare my half-fried brains ;)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Yes, I think there was some press merger. I guess I haven't been tracking their press issues and such over there.

This lawsuit and also other issues regarding expression, I guess, is not new. Still, boundaries are still being defined in the age of internet.

I don't have much of a point of view as to the policies over there and here other than that I have a strong anarchist persuasion in terms of political issues. Libertarian if you will. Say no to state control! Hahahah. Still, I am quite apolitical. In fact, I'm totally apolitical with regards to the local political scene.

However, if WP or the likes of them were ever to gain power, I guess I would contemplate joining AK. Hahahahaahahahahaahah.