13 January 2006

Cossacks

I have always enjoyed real-time strategy (RTS) games. 'Cossacks', in my opinion, is one of the most enjoyable ones out there. I have played 'Cossacks: European Wars', 'Cossacks: The Art of War' and 'Cossacks: Back to War'.

I have been consistently beaten by the computer again and again when it sent an army to 'fix' my main one while a second large one flanked me and descended on my hapless town. Damn!

In another case, I had attempted to gain command of the sea and instead, the computer opponent outbuilt me, sank my fleet and gained sea dominance, after which, its fleet sank my transports and landed troops on various locations (attempting to flank my defences).

In terms of tactical battles, one can form square against cavalry charges, form line for maximum firepower, form columns for melee. And if one were to form square or columns, one can be very vulnerable to artillery fire. There is a lot of room for tactics here. Pikemen against cavalry, protecting musketeers. Light infantry screens as skirmishers. Mobile firepower in the form of dragoons.

Last night, when I was laying siege to the enemy town after overcoming the computer opponent in a series of vicious battles, I ran out of coal, iron and gold, essentially, my units will not fire. And my invading army of 62 mortars, 12 cannons, numerous pikemen, dragoons, hussars were overcome by grenadiers and dragoons. I need to husband my resources well. Ugh! This game is a challenge.

I have always preferred controlling nations that has light cavalry, be it, cossacks or hussars. I find raiding to be very worthwhile. If possible, light infantry would be great too.

On another note, it is necessary to play on the 'Hard' setting or higher. 'Normal' is simply boring.

No comments: