28 January 2006

Hit that Perfect Beat

For me, Bronski Beat's magnum opus would always be the "Hi-NRGesque" single 'Hit that Perfect Beat', and not 'Smalltown Boy' or 'I feel Love'. It is ironic as lead vocalist, Jimmy Somerville, had already left to form The Communards with Richard Coles.

Beyond the chart-hitting first single, the subsequent single 'C'mon, C'mon' and the album 'Truthdare Doubledare' proved to be quite dismal. And I guess the success of the Communards eclipsed Steve Bronski and his band completely and Bronski Beat became a forgotten entity.

2 comments:

V said...

This was the best single off that album. I still listen to it today. But I have to say that The Age of Consent was a darn good album especially with the track "Why"

I did get to see The Communards perform once. Jimmy did not perform ANY song from his previous band which was a shame.

Did you like any of his solo stuff?

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I like a bit of it, mostly, the faster-paced ones. The ones that were someone akin to his former hi-NRG efforts.

I have one or two of his solo albums with a single or two. I have not heard the newer ones though.

Here's what I have:
Jimmy Sommerville - By your side
Jimmy Sommerville - Dare to love
Jimmy Sommerville - Heartbeat
Jimmy Sommerville - Hurt so good

What about yourself? How do you like his solo material?