07 November 2006

Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf E Sd Kfz 181


The superlative Tiger I entered service in 1942 in the Leningrad area despite a less stellar initial appearance. Like the Soviet KV-1, the Tiger I terrified its opponents with its formidable combination of firepower and armour.



With an 88mm gun of 56 calibre lengths, the Tiger I took a heavy toll of enemy armour and soon developed a fearsome reputation. The frontal armour of 100mm had allowed the Tiger I an invincibility that was not easily countered until heavier armaments were adopted by the Allies. The Tiger I soon developed a reputation of legendary proportions. Every German tank soon began to be identified as a 'Tiger'.


Despite a short operational range of about 140 km, the Tiger I, if carefully used can produce results out of proportion to its numbers.



1354 Tiger Is were produced from mid-1942 to mid-1944. The Tiger I was a vehicle that was heavy in material and manpower resources to manufacture and the Third Reich might have been better served if something simpler had been produced in its stead.

Tank Museum, Bovington: July 2006 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tim said...

I must say that In my opinion that this is THE coolist looking tank ever produced, whether or not it is politically correct to paint the swastika on it.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Tim, from what I have read, it is not popular with the German army due to a lack of strategic mobility and other issues.