14 November 2006

Vengeance

I'm not one for vengeance. I find little sense in revenge and I don't understand the yearning for it. I have been wronged by a few people over the years and my friends and enemies have wondered why I haven't bothered with revenge. A few did mistake that for weakness but they don't understand that I don't get pleasure in avenging a past wrong and I see it as a zero-sum game.

Some time this year, I heard of a dastardly act of vengeance. It was a savage deed which had required forethought and almost cost the life of the victim. Fortunately the injuries were most superficial. Then, came the drama. The acting. The pretense. And the unmasking. It was uncovered that the act was planned and staged. Finally, the cover-up. It was just astounding. If the injuries weren't nonexistent, then, there would be consequences and questions asked.

I wonder as to the motivation. Are the feelings so strong? Is the hatred that intense? Oh well, I can't be too specific as both the parties involved are indifferent.

No comments: