15 November 2005


Witching Hour

I stumbled upon Ladytron's new album 'Witching Hour' at HMV at Citylink on Saturday night. I bought it and listened to it over the weekend. 'Witching Hour' is incredible fun and infectious, I could listen to all day, again and again...

And thus, that is precisely what I did when I played the great new 'Age of Empires III' real-time strategy (RTS) game.

If I had to choose between Goldfrapp and Ladytron, Ladytron would get chosen every time. Fischerspooner and Ladytron are still the defining bands of the electroclash movement.*

Addendum

I thought the previous Ladytron albums, '604' and 'Light & Magic', were fabulous too.

Singles released so far from the 'Witching Hour' album:
"Sugar"
"Destroy Everything You Touch"

I have 'Sugar' but I have not listened to the one remix on the CD single.

*I haven't heard the new Faint CD yet.

"When a menthol hit, hooks a spatial girl in her summer clothes,
Like a transmission, on an empty channel, all lines are closed.
Taking photographs, speaking slowly through the permanent waves
The taste in her mouth that she read about earlier today"
'Evil' Ladytron

8 comments:

V said...

I actually heard a little nipped of Ladytron the other day and I may have to explore this more. There are still so many I need to familiarize myself with.

BTW: Have you read that Clan of Xymox is getting ready to release a new single? I think it's calle "Weak in the Knees". Can't wait.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Wow! Thanks V, it escaped my notice completely despite my frequent visits to their site.

I just visited http://www.clanofxymox.com

It's scheduled for a January 2006 release! Splendid!

Have you heard it?


For Ladytron, the first album '604' has some tracks that has elements that are reminiscent of Kraftwerk. The second and third are not as deliberately analogue or primitive in that sense.

V said...

I haven't heard the new Xymox yet.

I may be shopping for Ladytron this weekend.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Well, you could, of course, try some tracks online at Amazon.com before committing to a purchase?

Tracks to try includes 'Playgirl', 'Sugar', 'Blue Jeans', 'Evil', 'He took her to a movie'.

I can't wait to try the new Xymox. On another note, have you heard The Frozen Autumn? An Italian goth group that is on Xymox's 'Pandemonium' label.

V said...

Thanks, I think I'll try some Ladytron sampling tonight at home. As for The Frozen Autumn, I have not heard them. But if you like them, I'll see if I can sample them too. Always on the look out for good goth bands out there.

V said...

OK, I'm totally sold! I just downloaded the "Witching Hour" album from iTunes. I love it! And I'll be definately get the other two albums.

It's like a mixture of Lush & Client. Do you agree? Well, I thouhgt they sounded like Lush at first listen, then I read the review on iTunes and Lush was mentioned. Heh.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Indeed. The vocal approach is not very different from Client. 'Witching Hour' has some similarities to Lush to due to the vocals and the use of guitars. Swirling guitars and aggressive playing.

Lush was incredible in two albums. It's sad to see them disbanded after the suicide of the drummer. Tragic.

How do you like Client?

By the way, I am sure you listen to Dubstar too, right?

V said...

It is sad about Lush. I liked their last ablum. "Single Girl", "Ladykiller" good tracks.

I love Client. I'm eagerly waiting form something new from them. Now I know that Susan was part of Dubstar, but as I searched iTunes, I didn't find anything on them. And I always seem to forget everytime I go CD shopping. So I have yet to hear what Dubstar sounds like.

But good call on Ladytron.

Now to find out more on The Frozen Autumn.