15 June 2006

Faith & Disease 'Beauty and Bitterness'

1. Igloo
2. Ebb And Tide
3. Beauty And Bitterness
4. Emalee I
5. Emalee II
6. Glas-Glow World
7. Chandra's Lament
8. Intro: Voltaire' Vallerie
9. Crown Of Sorrow
10. Content Injuries
11. Metallic Cat
12. Louise

I was reminded of a track from this old CD during an exchange of emails regarding the Clan of Xymox with V recently. The noteworthy thing about this 1993 release from Faith & Disease is their cover of Clan of Xymox's classic goth track 'Louise' which preserved the spirit of the original. You could hear and feel the yearning.

An exerpt from the Projekt site:

"At first listen you might peg Seattle's Faith & Disease as similar to the lush sounds of Mazzy Star and This Mortal Coil. But wait, upon closer inspection (and that can be exhaustive as the band already has 6 CDs to their credit) one will find a versatile band that runs the gamut from brooding 4AD-ish guitar-synth-melancholia to surprisingly advanced eclectic instrumentation -- sometimes hinting at Celtic folk, other times experimenting with styles that might alarm the darkwave-ethereal crowd (like the use of a steel-pedal guitar on their criminally-underrated Insularia CD of 1998), yet still tie in with the bands overall "beautiful sadness" aesthetic."

Hmm.. I didn't know that they have moved over to Projekt. They were originally signed to Ivy Records.

3 comments:

V said...

I am exploring this band, thanks to you. They have several of their albums available for download so I get to sample them and decide which ones to get.

I remember the Projekt label sometime ago during the 90s when I had ordered their catalog through a goth magazine. I didn't know what any of the bands sounded like so I just chose one and ordered it. My choice was "Ionia" by a band called "Lycia" It was good but I got sidetracked with all the great stuff that was coming out of FLA and F242 and the like and lost interest in Projekt.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

In my opinion, Lycia is one of the better bands from the original Projekt stable. Lycia is recently no more though.

Projekt was quite prominent about a decade ago with releases from Love Spiral Downwards, Black Tape for a Blue Girl and more. It's not surprising that you ordered and remembered the label from that time. Today, the label appears to be a lot less prominent in my opinion.

I have quite a number of Projekt CDs. Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Mira, Attrition, etc. However, I think the highlights of Projekt, at least in my opinion, are Lycia and Loveliescrushing. The first three albums of Love Spirals Downwards are exceptional. Then, LSD spiraled downwards towards a lounge and jazz direction. No thank you. Heheh.

On a related note, is Tess Records still in existence?

V said...

I used to get postcard reminders all the time with upcoming releases of all those bands. They seemed to run that label well at the time. I do have a compilation out there somewhere that I found at the used section of a CD store. Will have to search for it and listen once more as I think those bands you mentioned are in that compilation (Projekt).

I'm trying to think if I remember anything from Tess Records and I'm coming off blank. I can't say that I've heard of that label or I've simply gotten too old to remember such things. :)