20 April 2007

Hiking in a Tropical Rainforest

The catchment area is fascinating. We have planned a walk through it. Kelvin, Jonathan and Pong and I will be starting from Rifle Range Road at 1:30 pm on Saturday and we should emerge somewhere along the Upper Thomson area in about three hours' time. Along the way, we hope to see the ruins of the old Shinto temple built by the Japanese occupiers during the Second World War. I had seen it in a night trek in 1981 when I was a kid. I could remember stone steps of a sort and other stone blocks lying amidst the verdant foliage of the rainforest.

Kelvin has kindly pieced a map of the route and area from various sources. However, I can't re-produce it in public as it may violate copyright.

Here is a public-access map which I have been allowed to put up:


Click here to view map
Singapore WW2 Shinto Shrine - Syonan Jinja

2 comments:

cutefuzzyoctopi said...

I actually had the dire misfortune to have read "The Ninja of MacRitchie Reservoir" as a Secondary school kid.

Talk about a shitty reading list.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

What is the Ninja of MacRitchie Reservoir?

You are like a reservoir of improbable facts man!

Hehehehehe.