11 April 2007

An overheard conversation during lunch at Dino Cake House & Cafe

During lunch at Dino Cake House & Cafe at Upper Thomson Road, I heard a woman in her fifties or sixties confiding loudly to her female companion on the what she would get if and when her brother were to die. In this tiny eatery, her strongly Singlish-tainted voice could carry quite far and it did, conveying this rather sordid tale of wants and mores to a small horrified audience.

It was rather amusing as you could almost hear her thump her chest with pride of her meagre means as she remarked to her companion that she was the poorest person in her church, in her extended family and amongst her siblings. It was evidently a badge of pride for her.

She related with relish of how her mother was a wild, uncontrolled woman and also of a rape of a sister during the Japanese occupation to her fascinated companion.

Yikes! I hurriedly finished the bland meal I was having and left the establishment.

7 comments:

Alicia said...

lol seems like it's never short of unique stories :P

just read another news on a man with 10 wives today..

Anonymous said...

Bland? I thought that added plenty of spice to your meal! Don't act coy!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Little Burrito, I told Siu Hean that I thought it was part of his Scrabble Club meeting...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Alicia, man with ten wives? In Singapore, right? I think I saw that in the papers. It's quite strange.

Still, you have been to Singapore. If you were on Bukit Timah Road, you may notice the Church of the Latter Day Saints. ie The Mormons. Yes, some Mormons do have several wives in Utah. Probably not in Asia.

Anonymous said...

You have Mormons in Singapore too? Do people really buy into them eh or simply going there for 10 wives? Woww! LOL!

I mean this cult should only happen at the Bible Belt in the US of A.

Woww! In that case I want to be cult guru then ...

d;-)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I am not too sure of their position under civil law when it comes to ten wives.

If you are ever around the Newton area in Singapore, you will frequently see clean cut American young men in twos, dressed in neat white long-sleeved shirts and black pants. They are friendly and they are apparently part of that church.

I have also met a Singaporean Mormon NCO during my reservist stints!

They are friendly though. Nothing scary or secretive. And they don't wear bomb belts.

Anonymous said...

Yeap! I encountered them few times now and yes they do come in twos i.e. young chaps, but I remember one losing his temper when discussing with me. He couldn't handle the questions for whatever reasons and got rather upset.

Yes, they are friendly but I just feel that their aggressive approach to safe the "sinner" are
too much for me.

But I want to be their cult guru not the follower.

d;-)