24 October 2005

After Action Report (22.10.2005): 'Thirty Years War Quad - Rocroi 1643'

This was played on a Saturday afternoon. Before the game, we rolled for sides with Seow Buay taking the French while I took the Spanish forces. The battlefield was clear with no significant terrain features of note.

Each unit has a strength factor and a movement allowance. (Str - MA) Artillery was a fixed piece with the French deploying two in the centre and the Spanish deploying three in three widely separated locations.

The turn sequence was basic and familiar.

Turn Sequence:
1. Disruption Removal
2. Artillery Fire
3. Movement Phase
4. Combat Phase

The French forces were greater numerically with generally swifter infantry with values of 8-3, 9-3 and 10-3. There was a single French 15-3 infantry unit. French cavalry was of generally greater strength factors, ranging from 2-6, 4-6, 6-6 and 8-6. The Spanish had a large number of high strength infantry which had an movement allowance of 2, representing the large and unwieldy tercios. The values ranged from 10-2, 12-2 and 15-2. Spanish cavalry ranged from 2-6, 3-6, 4-6 and 6-6. There were only two 6-6 Spanish cavalry.



Leaders were about three or four aside.

The battle started with Seow Buay moving his Spanish cavalry in a furious charge towards my left flank which was my weaker flank.The charge was supported by French infantry. Meanwhile, he moved his weaker left flank away from me. I started shifting my slow Spanish 10-2, 12-2 infantry units towards my left and meanwhile, my cavalry wheeled back. I had decided to anchor my flank with my artillery piece (and this was defended at the moment by a 4-6 cavalry) on my left. I also sent out two sacrificial 3-6 cavalry units to buy time. These were deployed two hexes ahead of my main line.

Meanwhile, on my right, I started shifting back to Seow Buay's surprise. He had imagined that I would advance and try to threaten that weaker left flank of his. The formation of my Spanish forces begin to resemble an inverted U with both my flanks refused. (See first image)

Thus, Seow Buay engaged the two cavalry units, disrupting them on the second turn. He also managed to disrupt a 10-2 infantry unit which was on its way to reinforcing my artillery unit. Clearly, this was vital. Seow Buay had a few 8-6 cavalry units which could break this weak flank. However, my two 3-6 units retreated and shielded that 4-6 cavalry, leader and artillery unit. I managed to finally secure my line by Turn 3. The French then destroyed the two Spanish cavalry units for a total of 6 VPs.

My 10-2, 12-2 and 15-2 infantry units had arrived and they reinforced the line. Seow Buay feinted deep to my left with 2-6 cavalry units facing my deep flank. I suppose he was tempting me to aggressively attempt to 'pinch off' this 'bulge'. On the other flank, Seow Buay had also moved his forces forward.

The centre was clear of units. Seow Buay's French army was in a formation that resembled a large pincer at this point while mine was that of a fortified line anchored by two powerful infantry units (Tercios) on two artillery pieces with leaders and cavalry reserves behind it. It was both an anchor as well as a weak point. However, any attack on those position would involve great risk which Seow Buay was

As Seow Buay shifted his French army laterally, I shifted my powerful Spanish 15-2 infantry units and scattered them throughout the line. At one point, I identified an opportunity. His 15-3 infantry unit was leading a lateral shift to my right. My artillery units bombarded the luckless unit and disrupted it. At that moment, I charged with a single 4-6 unit. That was enough for a 1-1 odds attack. I rolled and the 15-3 unit was destroyed. That was 15 VPs. That is a perfect illustration of what one would call a 'cheap shot'.

Following that Seow Buay manoeuvred his French forces but he unwilling to commit to a risky attack on the gun line. I was unwilling to to attack with my generally slower and numerically inferior Spanish forces despite having generally more powerful infantry units. We agreed to a draw.

Other Games

On the other table, Chris and Chew Ming played 'White Mountain' (another battle from the Thirty Years War Quad). Chris took the Bohemians while Chew Ming took the Imperial army. It was a fascinating battle to watch as the Star Palace was holding while the Imperial forces charged the powerful Bohemian line, penetrating in two areas. There were numerous casualties on both sides with almost equal VPs scored. Finally, the Bohemian army reached breaking point. (See second image)



Seow Buay and I also tried the Battle of the Pyramids scenerio in Decision Games' 'Napoleon's First Battles'. We tried two turns and noted that this game is going to be bloody and also very different from the 'Thirty Years War Quad'.

There was also a question regarding the deployment of the Mamelukes. The Mamelukes had more units than it could deploy on Embabeth without violating stacking limits. Strange. The Combat Results Table (CRT) was rather weird.

A list of wargamers in Singapore can be found at http://singapore-wargames.tripod.com

"Father worked in industry
Now the work has moved on
And the factory's gone
See them sell your history
Where once you were strong
And you used to belong"
'The Circus' Erasure

2 comments:

Pat Collins said...

Nice AAR!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thank you!

Trying to inject some life into the wargaming scene back here. (including myself)

I am so lethargic sometimes.