19 October 2005

The Renaissance at War

I just finished reading "History of Warfare: The Renaissance at War" by Thomas Arnold. Interesting topics covered include new forms of military architecture (the artillery tower and the angle bastion), infantry reform (and the return of the primacy of infantry), cavalry reform (reiters, pistoleers and the caracole), the global struggle between Christiandom and Islam, the Italian Wars, the dynastic struggle for primacy between the Habsburg and Valois, the wars of Reformation (including the French Religious Wars, the German Peasants' Revolt, the Anabaptist kingdom of Munster, the Pilgrimage of Grace, the Schmalkaldic War and the Dutch Revolt). This is one of the most informative books I have read this year.

I will probably explore this area in depth inthe near future.

I would be interested in playing 3W's 'Crossbows and Cannon I' and 'Crossbows and Cannon II'.

No comments: