07 October 2005


Drawing Pens

Today, I was at Faber-Castell Singapore. They are housed at the Lian Tong Building at Tannery Lane. The nice people there, namely Gary, gave me some Faber Castell drawing pens to draw.

Over the years, I have used many types including the titanium-tipped Radiograph pen.

In the image above, from left to right, Faber-Castell, Artline, Pilot, Copic and Rotring. I have used Pilot extensively for the last ten years, however, my favourite is the Artline ones.

Copic is unique in that they do have a 0.05 width in their range and that has proven to be useful despite being extremely fragile. The nib is easily ruined. For ultra-fine work, there is only one.

Rotring has smooth ink flow but it seems to lack character.

I have yet to try the Faber-Castell ones but having tried their products in the past, I have high expectations.

Addendum

I have tried the Faber-Castell pens last night and have drawn a delightful little piece which I am pleased with. The pens are fabulous. I think I won't be purchasing anymore Pilot and Copic technical pens except for the occasional 0.05 Copic ones. For Rotring, I can't see much of a reason either.

Artline and Faber-Castell pens have a certain flow and feel that agree with me.

4 comments:

V said...

I love your artwork and it makes me want to take up drawing again. Sometime ago, I studied graphic design and thought I'd be doing some freelance work. So I bought a technical pen set. One of the best from what I remember and very expensive. I don't think I ever used it though! What a waste. But I remember those pens were not to be used for "freehand" drawings. Rather with only making straight and curved lines using rulers. You know about the "french" rulers? I still have some supplies left over from a course in fashion illustration. Maybe I should break into those and make use of them.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thanks. I appreciate your words.

Do so! Pick it up again. It's never too late. Draw for yourself. After, you did do graphic design then.

Yes, you are right, technical pens are actually meant for drafting and other technical purposes. However, they are great for detailed work when it comes to drawing.

I do remember those French curves or rulers as you call them. I used them in school to draw hyperbolic curves or something more than two decades ago.

I did not enter the profession despite being involved the related industry (IT and web design) as a project manager for some years. However, I have not lost my passion for drawing. After all, I draw for myself.

What about drawing a concert scene? Some of the stage sets are elaborate while others are stark. They are 'works of art' in a sense. Capture the atmosphere of these events maybe?

And what of drawing space stations like I have seen on your site?

V said...

Thanks for your response. Actually, during the times I did draw, it was usually something very deep-space related. Like planets and stars and surfaces of planets conjured from dreams and the imagination.

Thanks for the ideas!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Have you ever read J.G.Ballard? He has the ability to conjure wondrous images of forgotten and decaying space stations, faceless metropolis and more in prose. Breathtaking and lyrical.

Have you sketched astronauts and cosmonauts besides planets?

Have you also read 'Starmaker'? 'Last and First Men'? 'A Voyage to Arcturus'?