22 September 2006

Antares Dawn, Antares Passage

In a recent email exchange with Kew Soon, I was reminded of 'Antares Dawn' and Antares
Passage' due to my perception of the realism in the space warfare and propulsion systems described, and also based on what I know and have read. I had read the two volumes almost two decades ago when I was in university and they had left an impression. A few nights ago, I took them out of my shelves and re-read them. It was a pleasure.

Michael McCollum, the author of both volumes, was an aerospace engineer and also a nuclear engineer. He had consulted and as such is an expert in those fields.

'Antares Dawn' and 'Antares Passage' are traditional space opera with described highly plausible starships (in terms of design), propulsion systems, space combat. There is no Warp 12, photon torpedos, lovable furry crossbow-wielding aliens in them. The logistics trail, the need for a supply fleet, and more made for very interesting problems. In addition, there is a full-fledged interplanetery political system (including various factions within one)...

These are novels of first contact in a certain form. And there are ample descriptions of a supernova, neutron star, foldpoints, detection systems, etc. The ship design, the spin, the gravity, etc. You don't need first year or second year university physics to enjoy this but you will appreciate it more if you do know a little physics.

I would recommend the two volumes to Dennis, Kelvin, Kew Soon and Wei Yi. For Siu Hean, I would point you to the descriptions of the star travel and the need to maintain pickets for communications. For the Huge Sumo Wrestler of Nippon, I would not recommend them to you because you are seasoned reader and of your acquaintance with the subversion of Banks. (though Wei Yi and Kelvin have read almost everything Banks, I would still recommend them). For Chris, despite your familiarity with SF, speculative fantasy, literature along the lines of Burroughs, Ellis, Vance (I'm impressed!), and more, and you being quite an advanced reader, I think you may enjoy this. It has elements which I think will interest you. I don't think I would recommend this to Mister Paradox and Mister Mreh.

The two volumes are straight-forward, highly enjoyable works. Don't expect sophisticated literary devices, exciting prose and more though. A third volume has just been released after twenty years.

"When the supergiant star Antares exploded in 2512, the human colony on Alta found their pathway to the stars gone, isolating them from the rest of human space for more than a century. Then one day, a powerful warship materialized in the system without warning. Alarmed by the sudden appearance of such behemoth, the commanders of the Altan Space Navy dispatched one of their most powerful ships to investigate. What ASNS Discovery finds when they finally catch the intruder is a battered hulk manned by a dead crew.

That is disturbing news for the Altans. For the dead battleship could easily have defeated the whole of the Altan navy. If it could find Alta, then so could whoever it was that beat it. Something would have to be done. ..."

I had to re-type this from memory as Blogger swallowed my first posting! UGH! Blogger seems to be fucked tonight. I can't seem to upload certain images. This has happened quite a bit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! "New" material worth hunting down :-)

You know, I only finally read Starship Troopers LAST YEAR? Same with Haldeman's Forever War... Work can do that to you. Hmm... Reality induced time dilation? Heh.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Don't expect sophisticated prose and characters with great depth. This is hard science SF in the vein of Lensman, early Heinlein, etc. The supernova, neutron star, propulsion, shipboard operations (transfer of personnel), etc are lovingly described. Oh! I thought you of all people would have read them ages ago! Especially you!

You must have been busy!

Anonymous said...

I had TOYS of powered suits before I read about 'em. Never too busy to collect toys :D

Check out these shots I took, each suit is 4" tall:

http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/nuesuits/01.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/nuesuits/02.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/nuesuits/03.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/nuesuits/04.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/nuesuits/05.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/drifand/nuesuits/06.jpg

A friend on the toy bbs showed the last shot to Joe Haldeman and he said (jokingly) that he'd sue the Japanese makers for copyright infringement, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review on Antares Dawn, I will check these out. At times I really like the "realistic" types of SF.

I like Vance for his litery style, incredibly varied imagination, and move-along story-lines. I am amazed I discovered him so late. His Emphyrio was an eye-opener, one of the best SF I've ever read.
Dying Earth is the other I've read so far, couldn't put it down, almost finished Planet of Adventure and looking forward to the next one I can find.
cheers,
Chris.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Kelvin, you have shown them to me previously and I thought they were fantastic! Have the makers made anything more in the series?

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

'Emphyrio' is amazing. I read it when I visited Rome in 2003. It seemed particularly apt as a lot of Vance's worlds are ornate, varied, decaying and decadent.

You have read all four of the Dying Earth novels? If you have, don't miss Michael Shea's 'A Quest for Simbilis'. In this one, Shea writes an additional novel in Vance's Dying World world. It's excellent. It's really not to be missed.

I know what you mean about realism. Hard SF.