06 September 2006

Completing the most Sacred of games

I finished Sacred! Woo hoo! Sacred: Underworld continues seamlessly from the original. One cannot see the transition. It's clever.

I am going to continue with Sacred: Underworld and completing it before returning to Dungeon Siege 2.

When I finished it, my battle mage was level 43. It was simple wiping out monsters with 3500-point fireballs.

I enjoyed this game tremendously. While I like this game a lot, I am hesistant towards recommending it unless one is a hardcore gamer who enjoys the early Ultima series of games. For most casual gamers, I would point to Titan Quest or others.

I will be slowing down now and will be reading a lot more in the coming weeks.

Addendum

One does have to export characters to the next game. I was wrong about the seamless aspect. Underworld is full of giant insects! Giant insects appear to be a staple of fantasy games, for instance, World of Warcraft, Sacred, etc. Can't the designers of these games be more imaginative?

I completed the game in 28 hours and 53 minutes.

4 comments:

Ole' Wolvie said...

Nice box design.

But yeah, there seems to be a lot of menancing giant bugs in our games. I have seen bees, crawlers, beetles, spiders, diremites, antlions and itelligent ant-beastman in mine :D They only make up less than 10% of mobiles though, I think...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I mean if they fit in a fantasy context, ie orcs, goblins, yeah.

Large man-eating plants, again, you see them in Sacred and World of Warcraft... Their design? Largely the same. Bugs? Same design too. They didn't copy from each other. They were released independently around the same time with Sacred slightly preceding WOW.

I guess you have also seen lizard people, cat people, wolf/dog people, dragon people etc?

Ole' Wolvie said...

Well, there are not so many of the "traditional" fantasy humanoid creatures - e.g. Goblins, in FFXI, and they look pretty different from then ones we usually see in let's say D&D.

One of the playable races is a "cat people", females only. The "elves" are more inclined to brawny melee classes as opposed to the traditional frail, magic user aspect.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Mythology and other sources are so rich with creatures of all forms.

Similarly, with a little imagination, I think one can create the most interesting of imaginary cultures. Traditional fantasy folk is okay. But when you see cat-people, dog-people, cow-people (Tauren) or bovine people, seriously, it's weak. It reeks of intellectual laziness.

Differences in conception, yeah. Goblins differ for most fantasy games. Elves too. The Elves in Tolkien are strong powerful people, and certainly more so than humans. The people from Numenor were stronger than humans too.