09 September 2006

Farmland




Pigment ink, Faber-Castell 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5 pens. Copic 0.05. 21cm x 15cm sketch. This was inspired by numerous paintings of the Dutch countryside that I have seen from Dutch 18th and 19th century landscape paintings. This, of course, is an imaginery scene. I drew this while I had coffee at the NYDC at the Heeren at Orchard Road this afternoon. It was a pleasant afternoon.

Addendum

The landscapes of Leickert, Klinkenberg, Spohler, Schelfhout, Borselen among others were major inspirations. They are Dutch artists from the 18th to the 20th century. I did have to take to pencil before I used pigment ink. The pencils were mainly used to mark the contours of the farmland, the lay of the land. It has to be 'three-dimensional' in that sense. Then, I had pigment marks made to mark distances. The marks were necessary as the field receded into the distance and the length of each individual strand of the wheat would have to be smaller as the distance increased. The composition is actually rather simple and the size of this piece limited the effects of light for me.

Illustration Friday theme: Farm Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

valerie walsh said...

this is beautiful! I looked at many of your new pieces and I'm always impressed with how talented you are! I always enjoy seeing what you do! Thank You for the compliment and I feel the same about your work.

buep said...

Beautiful work!

steve said...

God Chuang, this must've taken you forever to do. This is nothing short of excellent. Good to see you posting here again.

Neil W said...

Amazing rendering. I'm sure you are familiar with the old saying that the test of true art is if you feel you can walk into the art...well, the only problem I had was deciding which path to take. Great job.
Neil

Teri said...

Beautiful beautiful! And such detail. Wow!

georg said...

Amazing image! You have so many details, and your image tells about old days at the country - there's atmosphere.

You have a gift - that gift is to be a great drawer.

Jana Bouc said...

Stunning! And you did this from your imagination in a cafe? Amazing!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thanks Valgart.

Thank you Buep.

I am influenced by the landscapes of Leickert, Klinkenberg, Spohler, Schelfhout, Borselen among others. They are all Dutch artists from the 18th to the 20th century.

Steve, the fields did take a while. I had to plot the lines of the contours of the ground. And also the length of the meadow as it receded in the distance.

Thank you Neil, I appreciate it.

Thanks Teri.

Georg, thank you. I live in a concrete jungle now but the great outdoors is simply something to marvel. And I guess it is an inspiration.

Jana, I am familiar with a lot of the work of the Dutch landscape artists. Yes, I made this one up in a cafe. I usually make things up in my sketches. I usually sit and draw in cafes anyhow. The ambience is priceless.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

ELLA ELVIANA said...

wow... such a beautiful pencil work.. definitely great. well done.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

These new pics you've posted are all great !!

carla said...

This is so beautifully done! I just love the detail and control of your line drawings. I can see the influences you mentioned as well. It's truly a treat to see your name on the IF list - I've missed seeing your work ona regular basis. And thanks so much for your comment this week...I always enjoy hearing from you:>

Bill Z said...

beautiful and well done image! the rendering is intense