18 September 2006

Sales figures of the much hyped and vaunted Segway revealed!

Hahaha. In a recent Time article, it is revealed that the Segway sales was only 23,500 after five years and that there had been two recalls so far!

"When the machine was unveiled roughly five years ago, Dean Kamen, its official inventor, swore that the world’s car-weary city slickers would snap them up to travel distances too short to drive and too long to walk."

Hilarious! Too funny! John Doerr and Steve Jobs "...vied for a piece of the Segway pie and did their bit to hype the machine..."

"Steve Jobs ventured its impact would equal that of the PC. If Segway has sold only 23,500 machines to date, it's hard to see how it could even have made back the $100 million spent developing the device."

Hubris? Heheheh.

I mean seriously, US$5000.00 for such a device?

10 comments:

Merv Kwok said...

I would rather buy a bicycle than a segway. Which is exactly what I did hah

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I can well imagine! Besides, you get great exercise with your bike!

Anonymous said...

hey, I'm a bit blur, whats a segway? heh sowie

Xico Rocha said...

Hi, I across only to say hello.
Rocha

georg said...

Hi Chuang Shyue Chou -

I'm just here to give you a link for the einstein-pic - long time ago (I forgot, sorry.)

I must admit, I have no contacts in heaven :-)

Greetings from Denmark - georg

georg said...

Hi again -

Øh - I forgot the link -it's here:

http://www.hetemeel.com/
einsteinform.php

/georg

LDahl said...

Hi Chuang, your Leeds pics are marvelous. I love looking at the tops of the shops, they are like what I thought England should be like... more fog and mist should be in the pictures though*hehe* I know the sun shines in england too:))

I thought the Segway was a pretty silly idea. I think it would work in some places, but to think that people would put that kind of money in something like that when bikes are stolen all the time... Yeah, I want to leave $5000. sitting outside when I went into a shop! Right!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Pinkys, it's a so-called personal transporter where you stand on some sort of platform.

Here are some images:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Segway&hl=en

It's powered by a battery and it costs $8500 or US$5000.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thanks Georg! Appreciated!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Idahl, I didn't know what to expect when I visited the UK over a decade ago. London was quite unlike Paris with its 19th century building.

As for Leeds with its reputation of being an industrial town, I had certain expectations.

I wonder as to your expectations and impressions.

I visited the UK in July because I had experienced too much of the English weather previously when I was in Leeds for three years. Mist, rain, fog. Heheh. You are not wrong in expecting that. I wanted sunshine.

Like you said, bicycles get stolen in an eyeblink. When I was school in California then, I recall going with someone into the university's administrative building. The next minute, that someone told me that his bike was just stolen and he had left his bike out there for a minute or less!