01 December 2006

A Mess in the Bookstore


Poon and I visited this Times bookstore at Suntec City sometime in May. This is the children's section. Well, parents here obviously don't clean up after their children. Neither do these parents discipline them or teach them. In a society with selfish 'me-first' people lacking civic consciousness, responsibility and graciousness, is it a wonder why Singaporeans migrate? AK has left for Australia with his family. And his reasons are mainly for that of his family. He didn't want his children growing up in this society.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incidentally, someone else was talking about 'rude kids' in bookstores today too. See this.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Ugh!

There is no sense of personal responsibility around here, is there?

I found litter at the Botanic Gardens when I went running there a few days back. And the litter was only 5 metres from the bin.

ARGH.

I picked it up and threw it in the bin.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine once said this: "Singaporeans talks alot about their rights. And they are all rightly wrong."

For e.g. It is my right to just throw my rubbish here because I have paid my conservancy charges to have the Bengladesh clean up behind me.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

That's pretty shocking !!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Andrew, these are what I call Asian values.

The vaunted Asian Values of Community over Individual. Heh.

A lot of people here lack civic-consciousness. It's not about being noble, it's about being considerate.