24 May 2006

Bizarre Topiary Shape

The amount of hype over the 'Da Vinci Code' movie and book is unbelievable. It's expected that religious freaks are going to maul this movie (and give it controvesy and help sell several million tickets), and just as unbelievable is the amount of people who lap up the awfully written book and movie.* I mean, c'mon, read some real books for once! Enough of ranting for now. Heheheh. Anyway, I guess if the masses enjoy it, who am I to say anything? Let them enjoy their narcotic. After all, John Grisham, Sidney Sheldon and others sold millions of books too.

Here is a humourous take of the movie and book described Tom Hanks' amazing hairstyle as:

Some SONY studio executives had worried over Hanks' decision to grow his hair out into a bizarre topiary shape prior to filming, but oddly enough this is the one detail fans appreciate.
"The quasi-mullet is perfectly in keeping with Dan's original vision," said Howard. "You can't take your eyes off the thing. It's magnificent. In a way it's a sweet tribute to the Dan Brown fan, a discerning intellectual who purchases all their reading material at Wal-Mart."


Hahahaha. HILARIOUS!

Another statement within that satirising piece:

Unlike the tome of the same name, the big screen version of The DaVinci Code is somewhat coherent and preserves only a smattering of the moronic expository dialogue that made the original so special.

It's ironic. Simply ironic.

*The facts or fiction in the novel or movie doesn't offend or mean much to me, I have read stuff that is far more blasphemous to Christian extremists in my opinion. It is just that the book is a badly written piece of trash with vanilla prose, paper characterisations, lousy plotting, what else? And the movie, well... Oh yes, 'Digital Fortress' is pretty bad as well.

Source: Colin

2 comments:

V said...

I enjoy all types of books from the complex to supermarket straight to paperback books (or something like it) - Which would include Dan Brown. I liked The Da Vinci Code mainly because I'm a sucker for the subjects raised in the book. I mean, I read Anne Rice and that has to fall under the whole Grisham, Sheldon & King group.

I didn't think the movie was so bad.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

V, there are better conspiracy theory books (in novel form) out there. And these are the so-called classics.

I'm sure you would have heard and read:

Umberto Eco 'Foccualt's Pendulum'
Thomas Pynchon 'V'
Thomas Pynchon 'The Crying of Lot 49'
Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson 'The Illuminatus! trilogy'

Anyway, I can't speak on them with authority as it is not within my primary area of interest.

Ahh.... well, bestsellers. It does depend on what you are looking for I guess.

Similarly, for movies...