09 May 2006


'Suffer Well' Depeche Mode

1. Tiga Remix
2. Narcotic Thrust Vocal Dub
3. Alter Ego Remix
4. M83 Remix
5. Metope Vocal Remix
6. Metope Remix

The Tiga remix features a stronger thumping bassline with additional production work in the form of clockwork beat and disparate pre-set sounds. The variable speeds in the different basslines utilised are of interest. The structure and form are retained. It is one of the stronger remixes in this MCD. After Tiga's dismal remix of 'Shake the Disease' in the Future Retro compilation, Tiga has much to atone for. This thoroughly conventional and linear remix does it. A very like-able mix.

Narcotic Thrust Vocal Dub? Ugh. A house mix. Pianos and all. Fast forward.

The Alter Ego Remix is among the stronger ones in the single, probably the best of the lot. A carefully crafted remix with the inclusion of various unusual aural effects gives a highly variable feel of anxiety and edginess retains the darkness found in some of Depeche Mode's earlier work This track can surpass the original single.

M83 Remix. The initial production work was promising. Then, the female vocals kick in and the single is lost amidst the vocals. The inclusion of female vocals overlaying Gahan's vocals doesn't do this single justice. Gahan's vocals and the track is lost in the repetitive female vocals 'sometimes it's ....'. Ack.

Metope Vocal Remix. Relentless muddy trance-beats with the of vocals with the usual additional production work. The feel is murky, dirty and organic. An underwater feel maybe? This one is alright.

Metope Remix. Inconstant speed in the loops. Complex loops and beats. Undanceable remix devoid of vocals. Faint traces of the original track remain.

Well, I think the single is worthwhile. Much more than the remixes of 'A Pain that I am used to'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like greenday and Incubus. :D Out of topic I know, but thought of sharing my musical interests as well :D

Used to love Britney Spears (say what?!!! - I know... Don't ask)and all of the pop songs... but I guess, as one grow older (you can call me a latebloomer) I like acoustic or anything alternative now if I want to chill and listen to some songs to chill with...

I should try listening to Depeche Mode. Suffer Well? Yeh shall download that one, opps I mean, look for the cd in the stores.. ekekekeke

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Oh definitely, I am always curious to know what others are listening to at the moment.

Well, if you like Green Day or Britney Spears, well, I mean, go for it. After all, taste and likes are very personal things. I doubt if there is such a thing as progression. Just follow what you like.

Green Day, yeah, that old grunge band. Not my thing. I avoid grunge like the plague. Ditto for MTV 'alternative' and accoustic. Heheheheheh.

Depeche Mode? Well, I don't know, it may not exactly be up your alley. They are very electronic in nature. Likewise, most of the music mentioned on this blog.