03 May 2006

The books I am reading

Last week and earlier this week, I read 'The North Korean People's Army: Origins And Current Tactics' by James M. Minnich, 'In the Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat' Rick Atkinson, 'The March Up: Taking Baghdad with the United States Marines' Bing West and Ray Smith, and 'Spectrum 12' (which is a collection of mostly American SF and fantasy art).

I am almost pretty much done with reading material on 'Operation Iraqi Freedom'. I have one last one to read, 'On Point', which is a operational treatment of the advance up Baghdad in 2003. I will write a little about them later. Discuss the lessons, tactics, observations and more. There is quite a bit to relate about the biased media, the savagery of Islamic terror and more.

I am currently reading 'Illicit: How Smugglers, Traffickers and Copycats Are Hijacking the Global Economy' by Moises Naim, 'The Thirty Years War'* by Wedgewood, 'The Chinese Army Today: Tradition and Transformation for the 21st Century' by Dennis J. Blasko.

I have been trying to finish 'Istanbul : Memories and the City'* by Orhan Pamuk for a while now. I have been distracted by other books. Ack.

*I have been trying to finish them for a while but I have been distracted. Oh well.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Let me know if that Chinese army book is any good. Think USA may have to fight them someday? I hope not, because if we have to go all the way over there and can't get lots of allies we are going to lose...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Tim, I don't know. There seems to be some who are shaping China to be the next adversary. It is just that there are 1.2 billion people.

And in Iraq, there are about 40 million people.

Basically, it is going to be difficult to hold ground in China if they should go in.

The book is accessible but it can be dry due to its topic matter. It's an acadamic book. How do I even begin to describe this?

I will do so in a detailed blog entry then.