05 May 2006

Space 1999, Blake 7, Children of the Stone, Sapphire and Steel

I recall with fondness the imaginative British SF and Fantasy TV programmes of yesteryear. 'Space 1999', 'Blake 7', 'Children of the Stone' and 'Sapphire and Steel'. Those programmes incorporated sophisticated storytelling*, at least for a kid, they were sophisticated.

Some of the programmes were frightening for a child to say the least but I enjoyed them then.

I recall watching 'Children of the Stone' on Malaysian TV then. I wonder how many of these programmes have been released on DVD. I'll probably look it up someday. Nostalgia is just that. Nothing more.

I wonder how many people in Singapore and for that matter throughout the world, share the same childhood programmes...

*Okay, maybe not Space 1999.. Haha.

9 comments:

Tim said...

I remember Space 1999. Mantin Landau and Barbera Bain.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

All of the programmes you mention are on DVD here in the UK and sat on a shelf not 4 foot from my PC !!!

Here in the UK I order my DVD's from these guys based in Jersey one of the Channel Islands near France http://www.play.com/

V said...

Yes! I remember "Space 1999" as a kid and loved watching it! I haven't seen that show since I was a kid and wonder how I'd react if I saw them now. I think there was one female on that show with some funny looking eyebrows that knew how to morph into other beings. Right?

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Yeah she was called Maya and she was an Alien who could turn into other creatures !

Anonymous said...

'Sapphire and Steel' is my favourite.

I wish they will make a newer version of it someday.

d;-)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Anonymous, it would be quite something if a new version is made. It would surely not lose to a lot of the concoctions on TV these days? I don't know. Would it have a place?

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

V, I also wonder as to my reaction as well. I wonder if I will laugh.

I recall seeing glimpses of Star Wars again a few years ago. I recall the shakey landspeeder... it was suspended on wires. I laughed.

Your memory is better than mine in this department, V.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Andrew, wow! You are incredible! You have them all? The only British DVDs that I have with me is the Black Adder set which is given to me by a friend.

Thanks for the reference. I will look it up. There is censorship here. Even benign DVDs get stopped sometimes. (for an inspection).

I am looking to get the recent BBC production of Gormenghast. The costumes and art direction seems to be outstanding.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Tim, you have a good memory. It's sure better than mine.