19 May 2006

The Da Vinci Code

I watched the movie last night at Lido. I would say that it is relatively faithful to the book and fans of the book would likely enjoy the movie.

I can't say that I'm impressed. It's fairly watchable. However, it is two and a half hours long. Two and a half hours is quite a bit for something this trashy.

At the end of it, my verdict? Highly forgettable. (Both book and movie)

I had read the book some time ago when I was in camp for my reservist training. I was bored and someone had the book. So, I borrowed it and finished it swiftly. The prose was pedestrian and the plot convoluted, not unlike a Robert Ludlum novel. The conspiracy theories in it are fairly standard fare. And like my friend would describe it, 'it is a conspiracy theory novel for people who don't read books'. I think his description is fairly apt.

As for the religious angle, it is obviously lifted from that other book, 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail', nothing new really. I think it is not unlike the many crackpot theories of Jesus Christ out there, for instance, one that Jesus was an alien. Nothing interesting really. It's like something out of News of the World or National Enquirer. I am surprised that people would get bothered by this.

Oh well.

People will always seek out a cause. Any book, any movie, whatever. And they will rage.

Life's too short. Like Big Brian was saying, you can only read so much before you die. Likewise for movies, you can only watch so much. Frankly, I think one can spend or waste one's time on more enjoyable or fruitful pursuits.

9 comments:

Merv Kwok said...

'it is a conspiracy theory novel for people who don't read books'

gwahahhahaha! that just made my day

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

But it's true Merv.

I think my sister may have harsher words for the book.

Anonymous said...

It is my suspicion that people who comes out very strongly against the book probably have some doubts in the religion themselves. It's a natural reaction in fear of all you have relied on spiritually would fall apart.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I don't know. Maybe, they are just more fervent and faithful than the rest? More fanatical perhaps?

Andrew Glazebrook said...

I've not read the book,and I very much doubt that I'll bother watching the movie either !

Anonymous said...

I thought the movie was alright. I am never a gib fan on fiction books especially like these ones, you know with plots here and there... But the movie I thought was good?

Though the French accent really was annoying. So many shades of grey in this world, it's hard to tell apart what's real and what's not.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

For those interested in "blasphemous" stuff, why not read Michael Moorcock's 'Behold the Man'? It's a lot more interesting and intellectual than Brown's piece. It's recently been available again. Of course, fundamentalists of all sorts, Christians, Muslims, etc will always find what hate figures and targets. And they will always have an excuse to be stupid or outraged. ie Danish cartoons, lousy thrillers/movies, etc.

Sharlet, I am very inclined to agree with you. The papers appear to have a lot of it these few days.

Andrew, you are not missing anything.

Pinkys, the movie was good? Unfortunately, I can't agree with you. It may be watchable but.... A piece of typical Hollywood but utterly forgettable. Perhaps, you should really watch more films, not those from Hollywood...

Jean Reno and Tataou (spelling) are real French people. I don't know why you find their accents annoying. It's not a faked put on accent like the sort Sean Connery spots in many movies.

But this is a thriller, what do you mean it is a greys of grey? Care to elaborate?

Johnnynorms said...

Thanks for this! I knew I shouldn't bother reading or seeing it, and you've confirmed that well and truly. Anyway I'm busy reading Stanislaw Lem...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

You certainly won't be missing anything if you gave the Da Vinci Code a miss. Bad book. Bad movie. The religious angle is hardly disturbing. What is disturbing is the reaction of people to it.

May I know if you read Andre Breton or have read Breton?