15 May 2006

Taegukgi : 1950 Korean War (Brotherhood)

Taegukgi is supposedly the all-time box office hit in Korean box office history. I have high expectations as I have watched several entertaining Korean films previously like 'Shiri', 'Joint Security Area' and a few others.



These Korean films are not art films in any sense of the word. They are highly commercial affairs, not unlike the Michael Bay vehicles. In fact, I think they out-do a lot of Hollywood action films.

'Taegukgi' is a war movie about two brothers who were drafted. The elder attempted to win a medal by volunteering for dangerous and suicidal missions as to see the younger released from service. His love for his brother would see him put everything else after it. His love was boundless.

The movie had the initial communist invasion in 1950 as a backdrop, followed by the US marines landing at Inchon, the advance up Pyongyang, the Chinese offensive and finally the stalemate at the 38th Parallel.

In short, 'Taegukgi' was full of cheap sentimentalism, not unlike those often seen in Spielberg films, except here, it was clumsily executed. The script was linear and unsubtle. The drama was flat with the additional of pointless hysterics. The direction was like that of TV serials or soaps. Hardly inspiring fare despite the addition of grown men crying, people in agony with blown limbs, blood-splattered soldiers engaged in hand to hand combat (this happens a lot for dramatic reasons) and other over the top emotional scenes.

The film only started to get interesting when the South Koreans began purging communists and civilians indiscrimately when they found that the communists have slaughtered people indiscrimately. This had the protagonists, being the two brothers, fighting the Anti-Communist Federation. What an interesting bit of moralising, seen from a safe distance of half a century! That was about to get interesting but somehow, the war caught up with those two again and the elder switched sides believing that the younger had died!

All in all, an overly long drama with little to recommend.

I guess this popular movie, catering to the lowest common denominator had actually connected with the Korean psyche, thus filling the cash registers in Korea. It is not hard to see why. Themes like brotherhood above patriotism, the love of the Korean nation, ideological fanatics (anti-communists and communists), love of family, abound... Pretty much universal themes.



Regarding realism, as a disclaimer, I have never seen any action in war or otherwise. However, I have seen gunfire, MG fire, grenade explosions (I was hidden in a hilltop near the grenade range and I have seen the effects and shockwave generated by a grenade.), and I have heard mortars and stuff. I have been in field exercises and so forth. Now, the scenes of military action in this movie is not realistic at all. Not that 'Saving Private Ryan' is that accurate either.

The grenades blew up like petrol bombs, setting stuff on fire, the artillery bombardment hardly affected people unless a shell landed on them, Chinese human waves (doh!) and more. Ridiculous. The only bit was the chaotic feel that could be the result of incompetent direction or a real desire to create such a feel.

Equipment spotting. Now, that is interesting. On the communist or North Korean side, I thought I spotted Japanese Type 99 MGs, Maxim M1910 MGs, possibly Degtyarev DP MG, PP Sh SMGs (Burp Gun), a Mauser C96 pistol. On the South Korean side, I spotted M8 Greyhound armoured cars, M4 Shermans, a M10 (An open-topped tank), F-4U Corsairs, M1 Garands, a M1 Carbine, a M3 SMG (Grease gun), and possibly M3 75mm howitzers.

For those who like war movies (I don't at all), this may just be their cup of tea. Similarly, for those who suffer from war lust, there is gore aplenty, hand-to-hand combat, large explosions and other effects. Bah.

I am waiting to watch the Japanese film on the battleship Yamato which was supposedly a box office success.

4 comments:

Machinistscott said...

"Out Hollywood Michael Bay" thats quite a statement.

My favoriote M. Bay offering is "The Rock". The opening graveyard sequence and the raid on the naval munitions depot were my favorite parts.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Hi Scott!

It is quite a statement. 'Shiri' is slick. Melodramatic like the Bay and Buckheimer movies. Loud dramatic music. I think others can also vouch for that statement.

I'm not a fan of Bay, I don't like his kind of movies but they do entertain mindlessly for two hours or less. Heheh.

Do give 'Shiri' a try. You'll be surprised. Oh, I don't speak the lingo. Korean that is.

Anonymous said...

totally agree with you. korean-made war films are awful. don't remember the title of the vietnam war. i could not finish watching the movie in its entirety.

by the way, can you please post photos of Orchard Road in the 1970s and 1980s? i was a foreign student in Singapore during that time. a lot of fond memories :-)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I can't state that in general but the only so-called Korean war film that I have seen, I wasn't impressed.

I wished I had photos of Orchard Road in the seventies and eighties. My parents were the practical sort. They saw no value in taking photos of street scenes of the past. Hence, I don't have any of that period.

I will refer you to 'Singapore: A Pictorial History 1819-2000' by Gretchen Lui. There are some photos of the Orchard Road of that era, though not many.