25 September 2005

Club Street and its Surrounding Environs

I did manage to make it to Club Street in the late afternoon. It was a glorious day with strong sunshine casting long shadows in the narrow confines of the windy streets. It was perfect for taking photos. I soon lost myself in the streets, wandering and marvelling at the restoration and transformation of these shophouses while listening to an encoded album from In Strict Confidence.

That evening, I wandered over to Prego's at Raffles City and had dinner with two funny friends who were just so alive. The dessert was heavenly. Later, I was at Borders again and I picked up three volumes on history, one of which was Michael Grant's analysis on Greek and Roman historians. 'Greek and Roman Historians: Information and Misinformation'.

Later, June Hwang dropped by Borders and we adjourned to Burger King at Liat Towers and had a great discussion on military history and wargames over drinks.






















"To celebrate the fact
That we've seen the back
Of another black day"
'Black Celebration' Depeche Mode

2 comments:

LDahl said...

It seems the Romans were the champions of misinformation.

I always love seeing your photos and drawings.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Yes, even the classics must be read carefully. Caesar, Diodorus, etc.

Michael Grant has a volume that assesses the reliability of some of the classics.

Thanks Idahl. I have lots more of Cambridge, Oxford and London to put up. It's just that I haven't done so. I was there in July.