03 September 2005

Hetzer

A tank destroyer which is based on mounting a 75mm L48 gun on a PzKw-38 chassis. This diminutive vehicle was to prove a thorn in the sides of the Allies.

It was adopted by the Swiss army as the G13 after the Second World War. The vehicle was also in service with the Swedes for a limited number of years postwar.

A few months ago, I visited a model shop at Sunshine Plaza at Prinsep Street and bought a book on the operations leading to the liberation of Czechoslovakia. In the book, there are many unusual black and white photos of the Soviet and Germany armour and troops, photos which I have not seen elsewhere. The Hetzer is prominent in many of the photos.


"I must write a letter to you
I must make myself clear
It is spot on time, right on cue
I am a clam, somebody said to me
It's obscene, there must be a motive behind
It's obscure, there must be someone behind"
Clan of Xymox 'Muscovite Mosquito'

No comments: