09 September 2005


Woodland

Hurrah! It's Friday. This evening, I shall go hunt for books at Borders as usual. Maybe, I will do a sketch or two.

I did this quick sketch using on a Wacom display last night. The electronic medium is colour pencils. I am still learning to control for this medium. I need patience. The technique is quite different from paper. A lot can be accomplished.

For the second piece, I chose a coarse paper and colour pencils. There, I did a bare outline with some definition of light. Then, I used colour pencils. Fast strokes. I did achieve an effect I wanted. Colour control isn't very easy.

I will be experimenting further.



















'After the capture of Singapore, Japanese forces arrested more than 70,000 overseas Chinese suspected of subversive activities. In a short period of tome, too short for their guilt to have been established, several thousand persons were slaughtered in a vengeful massacre.'
Exerpt from Saburo Ienaga's 'The Pacific War 1931-1945'

5 comments:

AG said...

O.o what's a Wacom display?

better than Photoshop? does it come with the tablet? XD

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

No, it's not a software. It's hardware. The Wacom DTI-520 Interactive Pen Display.

http://www.wacom-asia.com/products/cintiq/DTI520/DTI520edu.html

For software, I used Painter 8.0.

Mike Norton said...

I especially like the effect in the first piece.

I can almost hear a roaring wind as some almost supernaturally powerful storm is drawing all the air up and to the right of the scene. I almost expect the trees to tear up from the ground and hurtle, tumbling, into the sky.

Very nice depth and ability draw the eye into it in the second piece. How can someone look at that path and not feel compelled to walk down it? I can almost feel the sandy soil at my feet and know that a large body of water - probably an ocean - is nearby... probably just down that path and not far beyond the rise of that hill.

chartao said...

great drawing u have there!!

it's such a long time since i draw, missed the good old days and now i'm already rusting in my drawings... keep up the good work and thanks for dropping by my blog!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

MJ, Leonard, thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate the them.