20 December 2005

Age of Empires 3: Update

Three losses tonight. All were against the French and Ottoman.

Spain versus Ottoman - 24 minutes. I destroyed his town centre. I neglected my large army which destroyed his buildings and was then destroyed. Was beaten twice in battles. My lack of tactical finesse was a major cause of strategic loss. He attacked. My counterattack was very successful. My followup was a failure.

Spain versus French - 25 minutes. Highlights: The game was essentially over by the eighth minute when an army of cavalry and infantry arrived at my town centre. I had five musketeers. Great Lakes map.

Spain versus French - 19 minutes. Highlights: I managed to destroy his army, destroy two of his trading posts and losing my army. His third or fourth wave arrived and the game was over.

In all, the causes were a faster run-up. They built a lot faster, especially the French. The Ottomans could send a very large early army of janissary. The musketeers were of no match. My economy was more fragile and was not fast enough. The keyword is not fast enough.

My record: 4:3. I have problems against French and Ottoman players. They rush earlier than I could.

Addendum

My next course of action would be to improve my timing. I need to reach Colonial Age within 4:30 to stand a chance and I must do it without fatally weakening my economy. An alternative would be to play the French (or the Ottomans) like many many other players at present. There has been talk about balancing the nations. Esemble Studios may increase the strengths of the weaker ones.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I'm starting to wonder if I should check this game out...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Hi Bob, this game has streamlined and simplified gameplay compared with its more complex and richer predecessor, Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings and most importantly, it plays really fast.

I guess I have played quite a bit of these Real Time Strategy (RTS) games and well, I love them. Having played Age of Empires, Age of Empires 2, Age of Empires III, Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations and many many more, you can see that I love RTS games. It may not be everyone's cup of tea.

You would really have to ask yourself if you do like this sort of game. Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, Warcraft, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Dark Reign 2, Dune II, Dune 2000, and many many more.