17 December 2005

Front Line Assembly 'Implode'

This is an unusual Dave McKean (of the Sandman comics covers fame) designed cover. The majority of the Front Line Assembly album covers are designed by McKean and are usually of a different nature.

In my eyes, this cover has a lot of elements of Franz Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis'. The transformation into a cockroach...

1. Prophecy
2. Retribution
3. Unknown Dreams
4. Falling
5. Fatalist
6. Synthetic Forms
7. Silent Ceremony
8. Don't Trust Anyone
9. Deception
10. Torched

Two excellent singles were released from this 1999 album. 'Implode' and 'Fatalist'. In my opinion, the best track of this album would be 'Fatalist'.

I met a lot of old friends who were ex-colleagues of mine at Marina Square last night. A few of the girls (which I won't mention who) appeared to have aged considerably since I have last seen them. Their skin had parchment-like textures. Mummies in both senses of the word? (Well, not for all.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That artwork is awesome! reminds me of a heavy metal band's album cover although i don't know who they are...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

It does, doesn't it? Front Line Assembly is industrial. Electro-industrial really.

They are somewhat of a legend within the electro-industrial circles. Not metal-industrial. (ie NIN)

steve said...

This cover always intrigued me and come to think of it, it very well might be influenced by Kafka. The last FLA cd I ever got was "Millineum", which strangely enough did have some metalish sounds (sort of like later Ministry) but was nevertheless very good. I really like their earlier work and I may have mentioned this before but "Caustic Grip" is my favorite. Cool post.

V said...

"Caustic Grip" is a favorite of mine too. Most notably the songs "Overkill" and "Mental Distortion." I also liked in the change of direction they took with "Tactical Neural Implants" only to change it back in "Millenium" and "Hard Wired" whih were pretty good too. Now, I feel they are incorporating too much Delirium into their FLA work.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

V, I love Delerium. The early 'evil soundtrack' and the later 'Ethno-dance' periods.

'Tactical Neural Implant' is indeed considered by many to be a masterpiece of the genre. Heheh. Well, the later FLA work is ambient in feel and not as hard-driving as previous releases though 'Prophecy' does come close.

On a related note, if you like the later Delerium, look up the two Conjure One albums. It's Fulber's excursion into the Delerium-esque territory.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Steve, people have noted that 'Millennium' featured bolted-on metal guitar riffs from Pantera. I guess it is the NIN-effect. Hahahahaha. Well, it is quite a change. There is one Noise Unit album which has also got this bolted guitars approach.

Well, this is the only FLA album that has extensive bolted-on metal guitar riffs. The others vary really.

'Caustic Grip'! That's a pretty good album. Have you heard 'Hardwired'?

V said...

I liked the first Conjure One release. But this new one "Extraordinary Ways"? Dissapointing. :(

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I do like 'Extraordinary Ways' though the change in direction was a complete surprise. The ethnic elements prevalent in the previous release has disappeared!