06 December 2005

Age of Empires III: The Art of Destruction

I have only been playing the Supremacy games on the Skirmish mode against the computer. After almost 36 games, mostly on the 'Hard' setting, I have come to the following conclusions:

Dutch - I have played more games using the Dutch than any other civilisation and they are certainly the weakest of the lot. Each villager cost 100 gold instead of 100 food. They are particularly vulnerable to early attacks from the others. In the late game, assuming that they can survive and are not fatally weakened, their large number of banks may allow victory. However, it is difficult to last to the Imperial Age with the Dutch. I have read of a means of quickly advancing to the next age which I will try.

British - Well, I like playing the British. With every house built, a villager is given. In addition, the longbowmen is useful in the early game as it does not cost gold while the various gunpowder units are available for the late game. Very strong economically.

Spanish - The Spanish are supposedly the most accessible of the civilisations according to Esemble Studios. I like playing the Spanish. They have great units for the early game and also powerful units for the late game. And the shipments arrive fast.

Russian - The Russians are powerful. I find that I can destroy the enemy's productive capabilities early in the game. Their strategy would centre around early game raids to cripple the enemy economy. However, creating units en-masse is troublesome at times.

German - I find them to be pretty average with their Ulhans which is great for raiding. The villager with the cart is great as well. However, beyond that, there is little to recommend.

Portuguese - I have played it a few times. While the organ guns are nice, I think the Portuguese are weak. I can't pinpoint the weaknesses except in a general sense.

Ottoman - I found it extremely easy to attack the enemy early with the Ottomans. With their powerful infantry unit type (Janissary) early in the game, one can easily attack enemy villagers and disrupt their production. The Arbus units are lethal. The Ottomans are possibly the strongest civilisation in the game.

French - The French has rifle-armed villagers costing 120 food. However, they are supposedly very powerful with their cuirassiers. I have found them to be relatively fast during the buildup. Strong economically. I can't pinpoint strengths and weakness. The French does appear to be one of the stronger civilisations.

My time to the Colonial Age isn't great either. It ranges from 5:30 to 6:30. I have read that some people can reach the Colonial Age in 4:30 and have an army attacking shortly after.

Beating the computer at 'Hard' level generally takes between 27 to 45 minutes. On another note, beating the computer one on one at an 'Expert' level isn't difficult if one were to choose 'Carribean' or 'Amazonia'. The computer AI cannot handle seapower well.

*Image taken from http://www.ageofempires3.com


"I guess it's over now.
I think we've seen the end.
When our common dream.
Faltered in the between.
Though I've tried so hard to make it real.
It doesn't matter now.
I guess it never did."
'It's over now' Cause and Effect

3 comments:

Johnnynorms said...

Sounds a great game, but then I'm biased because I'm a fan of AofE II, which I've not had long. I haven't got through the Joan of Arc games yet. I love the detail - early to say about gameplay, but it seems to be as much as I can handle!

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Indeed! I am a great fan of the Age of Empires II: Age of Kings. In my opinion, it is the best of the entire series despite the length. The later ones like Age of Empires III and Age of Mythology play faster.

The detail is wonderful and they do adhere to history. At least, up to an reasonable extent. Wonderful wonderful game!

Did you ever go online and play against online opponents?

Johnnynorms said...

I think I would find online gaming too addictive, so luckily (?) I haven't got a fast broadband connection yet, which deters me anyway...