19 December 2005



With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa

Brian 'forced' this book on me when he, Poon and I were at Borders on Saturday night. This is certainly an engrossing read, on par with Guy Sager and a few other infantrymen accounts which I have previously read. I am halfway through it.

This is an infantryman's account of his experiences in the bloody assaults at Peleliu and Okinawa and the sacrifices involved.

Sledge was an mortarman (60mm mortars) with the 5th regiment, 1st Marine Division in both assaults in 1944-45.

4 comments:

hujan_batu said...

Was I right? Huh? Told you so... 8)

Sledge is a true classic. I'd heard of him many times so I picked up the book.

Another classic is Quartered Safe Out Here by George McDonald Fraser. Which I bought last night in Kinokuniya.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Hahaha. Yeah, it is engrossing. Basic training, range, etc.

Okay, I almost thought you were referring to Flashman! Hahaha.

What theatre is that one?

Have you read Bill Ross' 'Iwo Jima: Legacy of Valor'? It is an hour by hour narrative.

hujan_batu said...

Quartered Safe Out Here is an autobiography based on Fraser's time in Burma. It's really interesting.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

While some of the details were poignant others felt contrived. I guess after he wrote it with assistance of editors and hindsight and cross-referencing...

Good read though.