28 April 2006


The Hidden Port

This was originally inspired by the cover of a Robert Charles Wilson book 'Darwinia'. The piece was started a few years back but was unfinished due to a mistake in perspective. And this unfinished piece was dormant for years. Friends and acquaintances have seen the unfinished state and they liked it. A few nights ago, I decided to finish it. First, the second half of the image with the bad perspective was cropped (it lies to the base of this picture and does not appear as such). Subsequently, an image of a towering city in the mists in the game Guild Wars provided yet another idea. And I drew that in. Two hours later, presto. The port is completed. A throwaway piece really.

Pens used: Pilot, Faber-Castell, Rotring, Copic marker. Sizes used: 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5.

5 comments:

carla said...

Oh, no...this isn't a throwaway piece at all! Your rendering of the rocks and foliage and water is outstanding! I have no idea what you cropped out, but the focus here on the "towering city" is so strong - I can't imagine it with more foreground. It's really a fine pice of work!

Tim said...

Very nice

Machinistscott said...

I wanna go there!

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Cool pic !

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thank you everyone.

Carla, I think the electronic medium flatters. When I look at the piece, I don't know.

My friend June, a very talented designer, liked it when she saw it last night.

The majority of what I put up are doodles. There are about ten pieces that I like. The others are really throwaway ones. I will try to put up some of what I consider as my 'serious' works up. Finished ones. Those were done over a decade ago. These days, I simply don't have the energy. The doodles are usually smaller than A6 in size!