17 April 2006

Initial Impressions of Erasure's 'Union Street'

Erasure's 'Union Street' is the latest release from Erasure following the mellow and excellent 'Nightbird'. However, after the very self-indulgent and audacious failure, 'Other People's Songs', and the badly produced* and again indulgent, 'Loveboat', Erasure appeared not to have learned their lessons and instead released yet another self-indulgent album. It is obvious that Andy Bell is in love with his voice as this uninteresting accoustic release sees him singing old Erasure songs to the accompaniment of a guitar. Vince Clarke is reduced to doing the production of a lacklustre vocal and guitar performance. While a few tracks worked well in a raw accoustic form like 'Spiralling', the others just sees Bell droning on and on, singing by numbers. Given his myriad experience in many concert performances, it is puzzling to see such a performance.

Previously, Erasure had released accoustic tracks on singles that were a lot more interesting than this set found in 'Union Street'.

'Union Street' is worth a spin but it is not particularly memorable given the vocal performances and the choice of tracks. What happened to that Erasure of yesteryear, with its glittering pop gems?**

*It seems that Flood would rather produce another U2 album and despite their long association, the production values of 'Loveboat' is appalling. Was Flood drunk when he produced that? It is hard to tell. 'Loveboat' was undistinguished with poor singles but the bad production made it impossible.
** Erasure's 2003 release 'Nightbird' is excellent. I can't understand why they are bothering with this...

Addendum

After listening to it a few more times, 'Union Street' is decent, definitely worth a listen if you like Erasure's work, I do. There are some highlights. However, it does not mean that this is not a self-indulgent work.

9 comments:

steve said...

I can't say I'm a huge Erasure fan though I have much respect for them. I guess I find their stuff somewhat too sugary, yet they've got some real gems in their catalogue. I try to be open minded, but Erasure gone acoustic?!? I can picture some dopey yuppie diggin' on this kind of thing while sipping an over-priced latte. So Flood's seemed to have lost his touch as well? Some of his work is near perfection. Guess you can't be perfect all the time. Say hi to the kitty for me too--just discovered the critter here (wish I wasn't so damn allergic to cats--I really like 'em)!

V said...

Perhaps because they thought Abba-Esque was such a success that they can keep doing these types of things. Who knows. Maybe because they are under contract and just wanted to release something quick and didn't want to put work into it. I haven't heard any of it but don't feel I'm that interested to find out.

From what I understand, Andy is working on yet another solo.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

As you guys know, I am a big Erasure fan. I have stuff from The Assembly, Yazoo, Erasure, Andy Bell, the Clarke and Ware solo stuff, and other stuff including most of the singles on CD (Finally! My vinyl is in storage). Yes, you are right, they are sugary, they are poppy, no two ways about that. They are a flamboyant happy pop band, not unlike the Pet Shop Boys (with a more sombre disposition... hahah). Well, the CD is alright. If you like Erasure, sure, by all means. The songs are well-written. Nothing to scream about though.

Steve, Flood's production on 'Dreamboat' (2000) is universally condemned by all the fans. It's pretty much unlistenable. He appeared to be taking the piss out of Erasure? I don't know... He has produced good Erasure stuff previously but he doomed that release.

V, you're right. Abba-esque brought the ABBA revival back single-handedly. It's simply amazing how they did that and it did top the charts. Sadly, Erasure can't seem to top any chart today. The whims of the public have shifted. I think you have a point with releasing something quick. I think this would be the fastest means of doing that. And also to remain in the mindspace of everyone. Otherwise, an album every three years?

Andy Bell's solo album 'Electric Blue' is a fabulous disco album. I haven't heard of the new one you are speaking of.

Oh, Heaven 17 is apparently back.

V said...

I have far to go to replace most of my vinyl. I do want to find those box sets of Erasure singles. The b-sides are the ones I miss the most. Like "Blueboy" and "Push me, Shove Me" Some of those were extended and I remember they sounded real good.

Heaven 17 - were you a big fan? I think the song "Let Me Go" is the one that sticks in my head whenever I think of Heaven 17. Great track.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I did manage to find the three box sets. They are wonderful. There are more mixes than were originally on some of the vinyl 12-inch singles. Especially the British records. How much vinyl have you got?

I love the remixed 'Sexuality', and also 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' and their version of 'Gimme gimme gimme'.

No, I'm not a Heaven 17 fan. What about you? I am familiar with 'Temptation' and a few other tracks. My favourite would be 'Designing Heaven' (If I recall that right).

V said...

I would say that my vinyl collection is quite extensive. I do have a lot of singles. And every Depeche Mode 12" single both import and domestic. Oh, not to brag, but my "Circus" Erasure album is signed by Vince Clark himself. I met him after a show once during the Circus tour.

So there is quite a bit to replace. Especially those french DM 12" imports from France that had 4 live recordings on side 2. So if you had all of them, you'd have almost an entire concert. I think they were Get The Balance Right, Love in Intself and Everything Counts. I think they are available as imports only and you'd have to order them. It can get quite expensive.

A lot of other stuff are early EBM stuff like Casandra Complex, Caberet Voltaire, Noise Unit, etc.

As for Heaven 17. No I wasn't much of a fan. I stick to The Human League. :)

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I know what you mean. I do have a lot of 12-inch singles. More so than the number of LPs. I think I have some 7-inch singles in storage too. Every record I have is in storage. I guess I started the 'conversion' about a decade ago.

Your 'Circus' is signed? That's great! Did you talk to Clarke?

The only thing that I have is that is signed is a CD from Marc Almond. 'Fantastic Star'. He seems to be the most friendly of people. And he seems sincere and real.

You're amazing! 12" DM singles! I mean I only bought British and American ones then. And you bought French singles! WOW! Amazing amazing.

I have a Cassandra Complex CD lying around but I didn't listen much to it. I have been listening to a few Noise Unit CDs and I am tempted to find more.

Do you get other Andy Bell and Vince Clarke projects besides Erasure?

Jebb said...

No doubt "self-indulgent" is an apt description of Union Street, but I think the results are quite beautiful (I have a review at my blog). And I must say I adore Loveboat ... it's in my Erasure top two.

http://thejebber.blogspot.com

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Sorry for the late reply. I am surprised that you can listen to 'Loveboat'. Does the poor production values not bother you?

May I know what your Erasure top two are?

And what about listing your Erasure favourite albums from most favourite to least?

I would be very very curious.

Thanks!